I have a young pullet who is starting to like me.

lau.gif

I think you're right, daddyroo.

My Gladys sits on my shoulder and pecks my head if I don't pay attention to her. I hope the babies grow up to do the same.

It's weird how some chickens are just friendlier, everything has it's own personality. I have about 35 birds and several don't mind being held or will fall asleep on my lap while I'm sitting down but we have this one chicken, a RIR hen that is like my dog and has been since she was a chick. It's the bird in my avatar, and this one purposefully jumps on my shoulder or head when I open the coop. When she was younger I would put a towel on my lap and she would sit there for hours while I watched a movie or something.
101655_stella.jpg

mine are less than a week old and I can already notice significant personality differences- I have a Dominique who runs to me everytime I go near the brooder, she willingly goes into my hands and stands tall and exremely curious whenever I take to cover off the brooder which has clear sides. My Buff Orpington never ever picks at me and calmy sits in my hand. My 2 red stars are pretty mild mannered, but prefer to be left alone but my Australorp runs as fast as she can from me, and will not sit in my hand willingly.

My 5 day old chicks are the same. The Australorp runs from me, the BR will tolerate me, and the Golden Comet will sit calmly with me. Gladys (12 week old) was friendlier to me, but has become a bit standoffish. I think she suspects me of trying to lure her into the coop (which I do every night) or is jealous of the attention I've been giving to the chicks. She and the dog are bonding, however...

Back
Top Bottom