I have accidentally 2 goslings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is part chronicling the adventure & part me being open to advice since I've raised exactly 0 waterfowl up until this point.

Yesterday we accidentally 2 Canadian goslings from the side of the highway. The flock is usually around the entrance ramp but apparently made their way into more dangerous territory. SO was driving to work and saw the group & then saw one baby super far behind so he scooped it up. We debated keeping it - reuniting it is great if it only got confused for a moment but not if it just couldnt keep up at all - and then someone straight up ran right over one of the adults, so he scooped up the second baby that was with the group -it was the only other baby they had - and absconded with them. Now that they are baby-less, they should be able to fly to safety instead of becoming road pancakes. Hopefully. And hopefully they go back to the relative safety of the entrance ramp and regular neighborhood-speed road it comes from. (Whether this was the right thing to do isnt up for debate.)

So now I have 2 super adorable tinies. View attachment 3068105View attachment 3068106

I currently have them in a dog crate. The holes are large enough that they can stick their necks out so I have pushed it into a corner and lined the 2 remaining walls with cardboard. Yesterday they did a lot of jumping trying to get out - oh my god they JUMP. I'm curious how old they are, if anyone knows. Bedding is currently old towels with cardboard under them. They have a safely-secured heat lamp with enough space to get away from it. I'm currently feeding them chicken layer pellets - feed store wasn't open Easter afternoon - and grass from the yard (no chemicals). They have a jug with a hole cut in it for water. I read they need to be able to dip their heads but not stand in it. I can go get them different food today if its advised.

I cant think of anything else to say right now so heres some pictures.View attachment 3068107View attachment 3068108View attachment 3068109View attachment 3068111
Canadian geese are protected under the Migratory bird act. Its a federal crime to take them from the wild or be in possession of eggs, goslings or adults. You can own them with a prior permit, but you have to contact Fish & Game or a wildlife office.

Please take them to a wildlife rehabilitator in your area.

Guess we should have just let them get run over then. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom