I have an emergency - please help

BreezyMeadowsNJ

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2015
I just brought 4 week old baby chicks home and found this in the cage. It looks like blood in the droppings. Could anyone please help identify what may be wrong and if you can tell, what I need to do.

Corid dosage for an acute outbreak is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder Corid per gallon of water changed daily.

Corid dosage for an acute outbreak is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder Corid per gallon of water changed daily. 
Thank you! I am sorry to have bothered you, I texted in a panic but then did more research last night and found your previous posts
1f60a.png
There were no bloody droppings this morning so far - is it safe to start the treatment anyway just in case? Same with my other older hens - they haven't been directly exposed but I am afraid that I myself may have exposed them after handling the babies and then being with the older chicks - should I also start treating them? I am sorry - and feel so foolish not knowing or understanding but this is really my first bought with a sick chicken - I have been lucky enough that all my chicks have been very healthy.

Thank you! I am sorry to have bothered you, I texted in a panic but then did more research last night and found your previous posts
1f60a.png
There were no bloody droppings this morning so far - is it safe to start the treatment anyway just in case? Same with my other older hens - they haven't been directly exposed but I am afraid that I myself may have exposed them after handling the babies and then being with the older chicks - should I also start treating them? I am sorry - and feel so foolish not knowing or understanding but this is really my first bought with a sick chicken - I have been lucky enough that all my chicks have been very healthy.
Corid is not harmful to them if they don't have cocci. But I would probably get a packet to have on hand. You could always return it.

Corid is not harmful to them if they don't have cocci. But I would probably get a packet to have on hand. You could always return it.
I just spent 2 hours driving to get some only to find out they made a mistake and were out of stock (I've called every feed store and tractor supply in my area within an hour radius and NO One have it in stock - earliest they can get it is Wednesday! My main feed store told me to start the on a broad range antibiotic Duramycin-10. I need to do something as who ever of the chicks has it is pooping lots of blood now - just can't figure out who - they are all eating drinking and active - ugh! What are your thought on the duramycin? If I start them on this should I then discontinue and transfer to corid when I get it or just continue the duramycin for the 7-14 day cycle? I feel so awful and am so worried about them all and sooo upset that I was sold unhealthy chicks.

I always buy the medicated chick starter and give it to them until they a CPL months old, its supposed to help against disease or infections, especially if I get chicks from someone else

If you have some medicated chick starter it wouldn't hurt to mix some up with a bit of yogurt and feed it to them...they will probably chow down on it....better to do something then nothing at this point...vitamins in the drinking water....or maybe some unfiltered Apple cider vinegar added to the water...changes the chicks body pH...making it's system unfriendly to many types of undesirable bacteria...just a few ideas...probably more prevention then cure...I raise my chicks with mom from day one...on ground that the flock has been grazed on....so far so good...good luck!

Back
Top Bottom