I have an injured chicken

Caryar18

Chirping
Dec 16, 2019
SW FL
Something got into the coop last night (my niece opened the door and forgot to shut it and I didn’t know /: ) and ate two of my four chickens. One was dead and the other we can’t find. The third one has an injured leg and her tail feathers are missing. Do you think she has a chance to survive? I’m a first time chicken owner and just curious if chickens tend to survive injuries or not (I know they can become very stressed easily) thank you

I’m so sorry that happened to you. The first thing folks will ask is for pics to help you assess the injury. Can you post some?

I’m so sorry that happened to you. The first thing folks will ask is for pics to help you assess the injury. Can you post some?
I already buried the one... it’s neck was broke and didn’t even look like the thing ate it. There was a pile of feathers outside the coop where it could have tried to eat the other chicken. I’m thinking a cat or raccoon

It’s very dependent on the location and severity of the leg injury on the one that’s still alive. The first thing is to bring her to a warm safe place inside and clean the wound — peroxide is not recommended, btw. Is the leg broken, or just torn flesh?

there is also an emergency forum here where you can post pictures of your injured bird.

As far as predator, I don’t know if a cat will kill and carry off a full size bird, but a raccoon will.

Is she able to walk? Is she eating? Drinking? Can she stand? Is she lethargic? Is she acting normal? If no, how is she acting and what is abnormal? Is she pooping? Does her poop look normal? Any other injuries? Is she still laying eggs? Is there any blood? Keep her in a warm place. If there is an open wound, use towels for bedding instead of shavings because shavings can get inside the wound.
@Eggcessive @azygous @HeatherKellyB @Wyorp Rock

Is she able to walk? Is she eating? Drinking? Can she stand? Is she lethargic? Is she acting normal? If no, how is she acting and what is abnormal? Is she pooping? Does her poop look normal? Any other injuries? Is she still laying eggs? Is there any blood? Keep her in a warm place. If there is an open wound, use towels for bedding instead of shavings because shavings can get inside the wound.
@Eggcessive @azygous @HeatherKellyB @Wyorp Rock
She is limping, no punctures. She isn’t moving .... I put her in a shady spot in the coop. It shut happened this morning I’m hoping she will come around but if she doesn’t start to eat or drink I do not want her to die of starvation. Do I take her out of her misery? One of them survived without a mark and she is completely fine she’s actually laying an egg as we speak.

She is limping, no punctures. She isn’t moving .... I put her in a shady spot in the coop. It shut happened this morning I’m hoping she will come around but if she doesn’t start to eat or drink I do not want her to die of starvation. Do I take her out of her misery? One of them survived without a mark and she is completely fine she’s actually laying an egg as we speak.
Take her out of the coop and inside. Put her in a dog crate with towels or pine shavings for bedding, or something similar. Make sure she stays warm. Try scrambling some egg and feeding it to her. Also try making a wet mash out of chicken food. If she won't eat it from a dish, try putting it right in front of her beak and see if she bites. Giver her water with electrolytes in it, if you have any. If she won't drink then you can do the same with moving the water closer to her. Make sure any food and water are close enough to her that she will not have to walk to get to them, only use her head.

Take her out of the coop and inside. Put her in a dog crate with towels or pine shavings for bedding, or something similar. Make sure she stays warm. Try scrambling some egg and feeding it to her. Also try making a wet mash out of chicken food. If she won't eat it from a dish, try putting it right in front of her beak and see if she bites. Giver her water with electrolytes in it, if you have any. If she won't drink then you can do the same with moving the water closer to her. Make sure any food and water are close enough to her that she will not have to walk to get to them, only use her head.
Thank you I will do that I hope she makes it

Honestly she's probably just in shock. I had a chicken that nearly drowned and even when she was out of the danger zone, it took her at least a few hours to come around.

Let her sit somewhere warm, comfortable and quiet and see if she's feeling better in an hour or two. She may come back to the present after she's had peace and be ready to eat

Back
Top Bottom