I have an integration question

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
So for the last week I have had my 6 week odl juveniles mingling with the flock during the day and going back into their brooder at night. I started with see no touch then gave them a chick door. Today they have spent 80% of the time in the general run area with the flock by choice. Minimal pecking but everything seems fine. Should I put them in the coop tonight instead of the brooder? I have a broody in the coop and was worried she may be overprotective? Im tired of shuffling them morning and night but don't want to wake up to injured chicks. Should I coop em tonight? Should I put the broody in the brooder with her chicks and then put the juvies in the coop? Something else im not thinking of?

In the spirit of transparency my coop is currently 8x4 and already houses 10 birds. They are outside 14 hrs a day. By the time these juvies are grown they will all have a new 10x10 coop. Shed arrives friday!

Truly appreciate any advice. I feel like i'm nearing the integration finish line. Want to do it right.

So for the last week I have had my 6 week odl juveniles mingling with the flock during the day and going back into their brooder at night. I started with see no touch then gave them a chick door. Today they have spent 80% of the time in the general run area with the flock by choice. Minimal pecking but everything seems fine. Should I put them in the coop tonight instead of the brooder? I have a broody in the coop and was worried she may be overprotective? Im tired of shuffling them morning and night but don't want to wake up to injured chicks. Should I coop em tonight? Should I put the broody in the brooder with her chicks and then put the juvies in the coop? Something else im not thinking of?

In the spirit of transparency my coop is currently 8x4 and already houses 10 birds. They are outside 14 hrs a day. By the time these juvies are grown they will all have a new 10x10 coop. Shed arrives friday!

Truly appreciate any advice. I feel like i'm nearing the integration finish line. Want to do it right.
Do the six week olds have a mum? If so then let mum decide. If not then I would put them in with the main flock at this age. They may show some reluctance and still sleep on the floor rather than perch.
I don't think I would move the broody with chicks now. If she's in the main coop with them and all is well then that's the best place for them; they'll integrate a lot faster and learn more quickly.
If she does attack the juveniles then you'll have to rethink.
As a general guide, I don't let a broody hatch who is destined to share a coop with juveniles until the juveniles are fully settled in.

As a general guide, I don't let a broody hatch who is destined to share a coop with juveniles until the juveniles are fully settled in.
Thank you so much for your input. The juvies don't have a mom. The broody is in a rather high nest with 3 chicks. I'd say shed moderately protective so far.

This is my first time round with all this, and I am quickly learning this is a rule to live by. I have stressed more the last few days then all the rest of my chicken keeping days combined. I will definitely approach differently next time.

I am thinking I will just put them in the coop tonight and hope for the best.

That sounds right to me. There is something about chickens sleeping together that helps them get along. Not sure if it's a smell thing or if they have a memory reboot every morning like the movie '50 1st date's'.

That sounds right to me. There is something about chickens sleeping together that helps them get along. Not sure if it's a smell thing or if they have a memory reboot every morning like the movie '50 1st date's'.
Appreciate the reassurance. I think I'm gonna do it.

Back
Top Bottom