I have coturnix quail chicks hatching!!!! And I have a couple Q's

countrybound

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 18, 2009
They're hatching! And I have 2 coturnix quail chicks!!! They are tiny and sooooooo cute! This was my first ever hatch. I have 35 eggs total. And I'm using a forced air Little Giant incubator. 2 more have pips (tiny hole) but not hatching yet.

My questions: my humidity is 62% and dropping. I need to add water or otherwise in the am it will surely be below 60%. I tried the straw method but I need to add more. I thought about having my hubby hold a towel around the opening so I can slip some more water in. The chicks are almost 4 hrs old. Should I try this? I'm worried about the humidity and unhatched chicks.

Also, how long do I leave them in the incubator after they hatch?

Thanks in advance
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I'd only leave the just hatched chicks in there until tomorrow morning sometime they need food a lot quicker than chicken chicks do.

Just fold a paper towel in half saturate it in hot water,squeeze out the excess water and slip it in and shut the bator
smile.png

No attempt to high jack a thread but for future reference... And we are far from expert quail people as we have only done 4 hatches but....
When we hatch quail we put a jar lid with marbles in it and water. We also have the rubber shelf liner stuff on top of the wire bottom of the bator so we can sprinkle fine ground food in there.
I've been amazed how even at an hour old they know how to eat and drink.....

David

Quote:
I've done that before as well. One thing I've noticed is that with really large hatches the humidity shoots through the roof, so removing the chicks helps bring it down some. My last hatch was a little under 30, and I had water dripping off the windows on the inside.........

Back
Top Bottom