I have done hours of research and nothing is helping, please help!!

Birdlover614

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2022
I have three goose eggs that I got from my aunt and all of the ones that she had died. two of the ones she gave me are pipping right now and one of them looks fine. The other one has a weird yellow yolk colored liquid coming out of the pip hole but it is clearly alive and it seems like it’s trying to break more of the shell but to no avail. it isn’t making any sound but neither is the other one. The thing I’m worried about is weather the chick pipped in the wrong spot or not Because I read that that happens when the chick doesn’t pip in the air pocket like it should. Me and my dad are afraid to help it because we’re not sure how long we have to wait before helping it. i had the same problem with a chicken egg where it wasn’t hatching and after we helped it it survived and grew up perfectly fine. I know that these are geese and they are probably different from chickens and i’ve never raised geese before so I’m not sure what to do. should I help the chick? Should I wait it out? What do I do?

I have three goose eggs that I got from my aunt and all of the ones that she had died. two of the ones she gave me are pipping right now and one of them looks fine. The other one has a weird yellow yolk colored liquid coming out of the pip hole but it is clearly alive and it seems like it’s trying to break more of the shell but to no avail. it isn’t making any sound but neither is the other one. The thing I’m worried about is weather the chick pipped in the wrong spot or not Because I read that that happens when the chick doesn’t pip in the air pocket like it should. Me and my dad are afraid to help it because we’re not sure how long we have to wait before helping it. i had the same problem with a chicken egg where it wasn’t hatching and after we helped it it survived and grew up perfectly fine. I know that these are geese and they are probably different from chickens and i’ve never raised geese before so I’m not sure what to do. should I help the chick? Should I wait it out? What do I do?
If it was mine, I'd help the one with the liquid coming out. Break a hole big enough it can breathe some fresh air. Otherwise, it could aspirate on the fluid and die.

I cant help you make a decision on if you should or shouldn't help.
My last 2 piped on the 1st and ziped and hatched on the 3rd. Its nerve raking sometimes waiting so long but it dose take them a long time to properly adsorb the yolk. If the pip is on the big end of the egg and on the side or top they probably piped in the right spot.

My spouse successfully assisted a hatch last year, but he's kind of an animal whisperer... If you get the gosling out of the shell and it's healthy, you should keep it in a warm dry enclosure overnight so it will dry off and get fluffy and make sure it's able to walk & talk well before you return it to the flock (if you intend to let it return to the flock ...)

Update: turns out the chick had been encapsulated in whatever liquid was coming out of the egg and couldn’t peck the shell to get out. Me and my dad made the pip whole a little bigger and moisturized it to loosen the liquid. After that the chick was able to hatch on its own and it’s doing ok right now. We’re still watching it but it seems like it’ll survive. One thing though, when the chick hatched it was very dirty and now that it’s dry it still seems like it’s feathers are matted down and it’s still not fluffy. The chick seems fine otherwise but we‘re not sure whether we should clean it or not because we don’t know if it’s supposed to clean itself or not.

I hatch quite a few goose eggs each season. Based on your description, it sounds like there was too much moisture left in the egg, and the gosling was "sticky" when it hatched. If the humidity is too high during incubation, the gosling can grow too large to hatch properly on its own.

The gosling won't be able to clean itself at this age. Since it's still fragile from having recently hatched, I would ensure that it's kept at the proper temperature in its brooder because it will be more prone to chilling due to its matted down. When it's stronger (perhaps in a few days), you can try gently washing the matting with warm water on something like a clean sponge or a paper towel - the key is to gently soak the crusty stuff to try to remove it. After the "bath, the gosling will need to be blown dry so that it can fluff back up.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom