I have fetuses!

Prairie Cat

Hatching
Feb 26, 2023
332093015_1268421980411798_7477382597963949590_n.jpg

I'm so happy! First time incubating ever! I was really skeptical these eggs would do anything, as they were shipped through a pretty knarly snow storm that I was not expecting. :p Survived -20 degree weather!
Day 4 of incubation and I found at least 4 fetuses, hoping to see more. No blood rings yet either! Think I saw somewhere that if the baby has passed you should be able to see the blood ring by this day.
Now all I wanna do it candle the crap out of my eggs. The strength it is taking to resist candling them every couple of hours... My question is... How often can you candle your eggs without effecting their development? I have seen you shouldn't leave the eggs out of the container for longer than 30 minutes. And just candling all the eggs really quick dropped their incubator temp by half a degree (celsius).
I want to look at my babies more, but I don't want to risk losing anymore than I probably will.

Welcome to BYCand congrats on your eggs. I used to candle a lot, and a couple of times I cracked eggs, so now I don't candle as much.

Congrats!
I hatch quail eggs and I candle all eggs often but I would never keep an egg out of the bator for minutes at a time.
BE VERY careful because the saying less is more is true...
The less you mess with the eggs the better change they have.

Also, I notice you are shining the light in to the pointy side of the egg. Later on you will be able to see better if you shine in in to the other side of the egg...the fat end.

Back
Top Bottom