I have finally started my "Chicken Adventure"!

TheChickenCameFirst

Songster
9 Years
Aug 11, 2010
The Countryside of Southern NH
I'm quite excited! Last summer we decided we wanted to purchase some laying hens to provide us with our own eggs. Due to EVERYTHING happening, we never got around to it last fall. I was so disappointed! I had worked so hard on all my research, and was excited to get started! I had been looking forward to purchasing some pullets at a local fair. Alas, things had to wait. I must say though, things worked out much better than I had anticipated!
wink.png

Needless to say, we certainly didn't get around to buying our chickens last fall! Our coop was more work than expected, and the snow came to quickly. The supplies laid there all solomn in our basement all winter long! THANKFULLY... spring has arrived! A couple months ago, we purchased 6 chicks from a local breeder. We bought 3 ISA Browns, and 3 Barred rocks. The coop we planned we figured would be a good size for 6. Well, my husband began assembling the coop earilier this month, while the chicks lived in our living room! Due to many rainy weekends, it has taken even LONGER than we expected. The chickens (Now about 12 weeks old) are living in the run.

Last night, somthing tried to dig it's way under the run! The roost isn't finished, and I am increasingly wary that we need to get it finished for the safety of the chickens. We have had a raccoon visit recently, and I'm concerned that it made it's appearence again last night. It didn't seem to try too hard. We figured it must have been startled!

When we first brough the chickens outside, they were LOVING IT! They now call to be let out in the morning when they see me
smile.png
They follow me and my daughter all over the place while we work outside! I'm loving everybit of this! I'm so happy we finally got around to starting this adventure!!!

I shall be looking to this site again on many occasions I'm sure as I encounter plenty of things I'm sure I'm not expecting!
big_smile.png
Thanks for all your support in my planning stage till now! I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to post so much information here.
hugs.gif

Great to hear! I'm glad it worked out so well for you
smile.png

And I can't tell you how much I hate things coming in and getting my chickens, I hope it doesn't happen to you! Such a hassle. And it's so hard to arm against them digging under, climbing over and flying in or squeezing through all at once. Hope you find something to run it off with!

Quote:
That should work for a while at least, I do that with mine
smile.png

I noticed also that if you have a big mean looking rooster in there, most usually, nothing will bother them, but sometimes it can't be helped, like bantams. But there are fiery bantams out there as-well, just got to find them
smile.png

Best of luck with your chickens though! They're quite easy to fall in love with!

Yes I think we need a rooster!
smile.png
We have found that the coop we constructed is really big enough to hold several more chickens so we may get one. It's nice to be able to expand our flock if we want!

Thanks, and YES they are easy to fall in love with!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom