I have found tons of info all over this site.. thank you so much..

Lindamw

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
Pearl River, Louisiana
I have a few questions... I have two Chinese geese (brown).. actually they are still goslings... we have put up a yard for them and getting ready to put they out in their own area... I would like to know if there are certain plants they cant eat (or shouldn't eat)... and what can I plant that they would like... I want to plant stuff around the edges of the pen that they would like.. I plan on putting it so that the base of the plant is out of their reach and they can get to the leaves... also... do you clip the wings of geese or do they even fly?? We have four acres and some of it is unfenced... will the geese stay in the yard... can I free range them sometimes ??... I would like to free range them but have them safe and sound in their pen and boxes at night... how do I do this or will they do it on their own with a little encouragement??... I have two free flowing garden ponds... (the water is from a free flowing well).. so they will have plenty of bath area...
I just wanna thank yall ahead of time

Welcome to the forum and the joy of owning geese. It sounds like your geese have the perfect set-up.
big_smile.png

Geese enjoy most lettuces and cabbages. Broccoli is wonderful for them. Spinach is bad as it contains an acid which blocks calcium absorption. But if you have 4 acres for them to free range, they should be able to find lots of goodies on their own. Geese are extremely territorial and do not stray far from where you will feed/water them. Routine is very important to them and if you time feeding dinner with putting them up, they will quickly learn to put themselves up in the evening.

welcome-byc.gif
you may see the Chinese able to fly a little better than most other domesticated breeds of geese because they are lighter in weight.
Now how high or how far someone that owns them will have to chime in on that one. Going Bonkers had White Chinese and she posted a video of them flying... short distance.
Found the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/708342/pictures-of-geese-flying/10

Last edited:
I've been browsing through this forum for over an hour and guess what? Here is a topic I actually know something about!

I maintain that Brown China geese can fly as well as a big Canada goose if they are in shape and want to badly enough. One of the reasons I am so drawn to geese is that I had one when I was just a kid. I used to run from where we kept Beep at night (in a shed about 100 ft from the house) and call that little gosling just to watch it flap its little wings and try to keep up with me. Well, Beep grew and so did his wings.

The day came when he could skim the ground and keep up, and then the day came when he passed me in the air and beat me to the house. I thought that was great fun and since Beep was so faithful about staying with me, I took him everywhere that summer. (It was the 60s, back when children could walk around outside without their parents panicking.)
My mistake was taking Beep to my school. The play field was lovely with grass and clover so Beep was grazing happily while I slowly slipped away. After I got far enough away I called and started running. Well ... when Beep passed me he was WAY over my head and still climbing. He had reached cruising speed, had his feet up, and he wasn't even flapping hard.

I called him and he tried to come back but he didn't know how to turn or land from such an altitude so he just glided and slowed down. He still cleared the fence around the schoolyard with room to spare, crossed a road, and then skidded to a stop on the sidewalk in front of a local business.

It took a while for me to reach him because he had covered such a distance. He had hurt his feet from landing on the concrete and he wouldn't walk. Poor baby.
I learned my lesson. He weighed right at 12 lbs but by the time I carried him all the way home it felt more like 50. Luckily he was very calm about being carried.

He never made any effort to fly unless I called him, so I don't think he would have needed any sort of covered pen, but the ability was definitely there if he ever needed it.

I originally started browsing this forum in the hopes of finding a smallish young gander (almost any breed) who might be willing to be friends and/or honking buddies with a crippled and mentally disturbed Canada goose, but this topic really caught my eye.

LOVE Brown Chinas! I can't recommend them enough.

I've been browsing through this forum for over an hour and guess what? Here is a topic I actually know something about!

I maintain that Brown China geese can fly as well as a big Canada goose if they are in shape and want to badly enough. One of the reasons I am so drawn to geese is that I had one when I was just a kid. I used to run from where we kept Beep at night (in a shed about 100 ft from the house) and call that little gosling just to watch it flap its little wings and try to keep up with me. Well, Beep grew and so did his wings.

The day came when he could skim the ground and keep up, and then the day came when he passed me in the air and beat me to the house. I thought that was great fun and since Beep was so faithful about staying with me, I took him everywhere that summer. (It was the 60s, back when children could walk around outside without their parents panicking.)
My mistake was taking Beep to my school. The play field was lovely with grass and clover so Beep was grazing happily while I slowly slipped away. After I got far enough away I called and started running. Well ... when Beep passed me he was WAY over my head and still climbing. He had reached cruising speed, had his feet up, and he wasn't even flapping hard.

I called him and he tried to come back but he didn't know how to turn or land from such an altitude so he just glided and slowed down. He still cleared the fence around the schoolyard with room to spare, crossed a road, and then skidded to a stop on the sidewalk in front of a local business.

It took a while for me to reach him because he had covered such a distance. He had hurt his feet from landing on the concrete and he wouldn't walk. Poor baby.
I learned my lesson. He weighed right at 12 lbs but by the time I carried him all the way home it felt more like 50. Luckily he was very calm about being carried.

He never made any effort to fly unless I called him, so I don't think he would have needed any sort of covered pen, but the ability was definitely there if he ever needed it.

I originally started browsing this forum in the hopes of finding a smallish young gander (almost any breed) who might be willing to be friends and/or honking buddies with a crippled and mentally disturbed Canada goose, but this topic really caught my eye.

LOVE Brown Chinas! I can't recommend them enough.
What a great story thanks for sharing and hope you can find a friend or 2 for your Canada, and
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom