I have fright, I found a million mites!

Mar 6, 2023
Hi, I have a hen that had mites. She was already dealing with some health issues and the mites found her an easy target. I’ve checked the rest of the flock and didn’t see any but found them in the coop and treated with permethrin.

Our chickens free range and we have found mites everywhere, on the patio, on the water hose, etc.

Any advice for treating them everywhere? I’m attaching a picture but I assume they are NFM - I am totally freaked out. I have found them on me multiple times. Can they live without a chicken as their host? Can they invest my house?

I’m freaking out.

Attachments

• AE57E6D3-89BF-4530-910C-31A56FD3B307.jpeg
    AE57E6D3-89BF-4530-910C-31A56FD3B307.jpeg
    686.7 KB · Views: 50
The mites that infest coops and bite chickens are very, very tiny.
Red mite fairly easy to see with the naked eye, especially if they've fed and gone red; otherwise translucent grey.
Northern fowl mite also visable to the naked eye.
Scaly Leg mite visible on a white sheet of paper.

Just to give an indication of size.

Here are blown up photos of poultry lice and mites to help you ID what you're dealing with. Hopefully you have a magnifying glass.
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/IG140

Whether they are mites or not, Permethrin liquid concentrate will wipe them out. Dont bother with Ivermectin, mites have been showing resistance to it in certain parts of the U.S.
Besides, you cant treat the coop and nest boxes with Ivermectin.
Here's a link regarding Permethrin liquid concentrate mixing instructions:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mites-in-shavings.1452638/page-2#post-24234111

Red mite fairly easy to see with the naked eye, especially if they've fed and gone red; otherwise translucent grey.
Northern fowl mite also visable to the naked eye.
Scaly Leg mite visible on a white sheet of paper.

Just to give an indication of size.
They were on my hen (which we treated along with the entire flock and coop), but we are seeing them everywhere (patio, water hose, things close to the house). Can they invade my house or just specifically chickens/coop?

I’m going insane

The thing is, there are thousands of different sorts of mites. Not all mites are poultry mites eg I have worm bins to make vermicompost and there are mites in there. They help break down the compost. They aren’t pests and don’t hurt the worms.
If you have compost piles or mulch in your garden the mites you’re seeing on your porch could be from that! Or cats and dogs can also be infected with mites. A totally different sort of mite. These also don’t infect birds.
I’m not saying the mites you’re seeing definitely are not poultry mites, but don’t freak out just because you see them.
There are sprays you can safely use in your home if you have mites inside or on the porch.

How large are they?
We have a mite that we call concrete mites. They are seen on sidewalks and wood, but are not biters.
The mites that infest coops and bite chickens are very, very tiny.
Lice are small but may be visible. Generally the eggs are what we notice first.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
They are very tiny - adding a picture of them on my hand.

Attachments

• 22989682-EAB6-4921-B67E-14F9D863B0C4.png
    22989682-EAB6-4921-B67E-14F9D863B0C4.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 30
:hugs I know the feeling ... You need to treat everything (coop, nest boxes, grounds surrounding house, everything), repeating in 10 days (eggs hatch) and all the chickens. Permethrin is the ingredient you need. There's a concentrate spray that you can also mist the chickens with. I dust my girls monthly with either Garden & Poultry Dust or Hi Yield found at feed stores, for sure Amazon; concentrate under their wings & vent area.
Personally I'd treat for at least 2 months ... You may want to use a tape to capture some to take to Dept of Ag verifying its bird mites. I learned there are over 1000 types and some are good to have :sick

Have read some use Ivermectin @dawg53 would know the dose, maybe easier as you drop it on the individual chicken but I don't know how many drops nor if there's a withdrawal period.

I think elaineinspain might be right. What you describe doesn't sound like poultry mites or lice to me. There are as elain ChickNanny13 write, thousand of different types of mite, many of which haven't even been classified.
Permethrin will sort them out.

Back
Top Bottom