I have looked all over, but can't find what breed this hen is.

I have a hen that looks just like her. I have never been able to find out what she is.

After a lot of research, I am convinced that both the birds I have posted pictures of are a breed of game fowl.

This one I am certain of since I have found many pictures of game fowl that look identical to her

Here are two pics of OEG fowl from http://www.cacklehatchery.com

Silver Duckwing Standard Jungle Fowl Old English Game Chicken Hen

Black Breasted Red Jungle Fowl Old English Game Chicken Hen

This bird is listed as "Grey American Game Hen" on http://www.feathersite.com

She looks very similar to my hen. (mine is a much better picture though).

So I am pretty sure they are mostly game hens, even if there is a little mix in them.

You can't go wrong with Game chickens if you want hardy, independent birds. My Grandpa had an almost feral flock of them around his house for years that lived and reproduced independently. I had great fun as a kid finding the hidden nests in the barn and under the porch.

You can't go wrong with Game chickens if you want hardy, independent birds. My Grandpa had an almost feral flock of them around his house for years that lived and reproduced independently. I had great fun as a kid finding the hidden nests in the barn and under the porch.

I know what you mean. I was a missionary to the Amazon jungle of Brazil for 12 years before moving back to the US. All of my chickens were like this, living and reproducing independently. I just fed them some corn once a day in the morning to keep them trained to come when called. It was a constant game for the kids to find their new nest. But you never find them all and every so often here comes a hen with a bunch of chicks. My flock of mixed breeds would grow so much that we would have to sell off a few dozen two to three times a year. I would love to have that kind of flock here, but the predators are so darn bad I am not sure if it would work the same.

If you are looking for a bird that will do well in a hot climate, free ranges well, and is an egg producer, then check out most any Mediterranean breed.

Typically, games will lay smaller eggs and lay less often - in addition to being broody which will stop egg production all together. Check out some Medeterranean breeds such as Leghorns, Minorcas, and Anconas. I personally like the WF Black Spanish.

Your Hen is definitely an American Game of some sort. My Grandafther used to raise and fight a very old line of English Gamefowl and some mixed with the American Gamefowl. He could tell the difference - I couldn't! We also had Brown Leghorns, but that isn't a Brown Leghorn Hen. He also referred to some of them as Hatches and others as Whitehackles. This Hen looks very similar to the ones we had on the farm at that time.

looks like a buttermilk grey and sid taylor cross sid taylors have dark tips on hackle feathers like this one does and the light tan color resembles buttermilk grey maybe right maybe wrong but what the hell you asked and we replied

looks like a buttermilk grey and sid taylor cross sid taylors have dark tips on hackle feathers like this one does and the light tan color resembles buttermilk grey maybe right maybe wrong but what the hell you asked and we replied

Thanks. I figured she had some other breed in her, but had no idea what it could be. I will look at some sid taylors now.

I have a very similar hen to this one, AN d i felt like you were talking about my hen!
She also vicious and very fast, But is making the BEST broody hen I evr saw!
I was also looking what breed she could be and I hope you find out.

I was actually planing on going to ask the breeder a got Her from.
wish you luck ^^

Back
Top Bottom