I have my first chickens!!

starchicky

Songster
8 Years
Sep 14, 2013
Oregon
It seems like we have been building our coop for forever, but the girls are in and seem to be adjusting well to their new home! We took in two adult hens from a friend who was moving. They are a Rhode Island Red and a Red Star, both have laid wonderful eggs already! We also got two baby black Sex-Linked chicks, they are super cute and I'm very excited to raise them! I've raised a parrot before but never chickens, it feels great to have birds again, I truly love their personalities. I was happily surprised that they have gotten used to the neighbor's dog and our cat being around rather quickly. I will be keeping a close on their interactions, but I hope overall that the other animals' presence will keep predators away. Our coop we built from the ground up and we tried to make it as impenetrable as possible. I hope to post the building process soon and what we learned. I have learned so much from other people's post on here, thank you so much for the time and effort put into your posts!

My long term goal is to have the hens free range at least somewhat and incorporate them into the garden design. We've had an extremely successful garden in our first summer in our house, so we are excited to add chicken manure to the compost. We've also started to sprout seed for the chickens, I've been trying to figure out diet supplementation for them, reading about sprouts and fodder. We will also be growing mealworms soon, we've needed an excuse to grow them for our lizard anyways. I'd like to get them on as natural a diet as possible.

Any advice on diet or DIY watering and feeding systems would be great! My husband is keen on making everything as automated as possible and is technically savy
jumpy.gif

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Congrats on taking the plunge! I hope you made that coop nice and big, once you discoverer how addictive chickens are you're going to need the space! Have a browse around the Feeding & Watering Your Flock section for discussions on feeders and waterers. I know there are quite a few of them. Also have a look at this Learning Centre section for some articles on chickens and gardens and which plants they can not/will not eat. Enjoy!

Last edited:
When I built the coop, she had 2 chickens lined up. But I knew....oh I knew...there would be more. We're only allowed 6 by code, don't know how many chicks in addition but I'd say this coop can handle at least that many. I hope...

Yes thankfully we can only have 6! They seem very easy to collect and I've already thought of Brahmas or an easter egger of some sort. Maybe we will add two more in the spring when more chicks are available! I did see the section on feeders and waterers, wow there is alot there.

I think we are going to make pvc pipe nipple waterers and feeders (the one with holes cut in the pipe like a chick feeder so they can only get their heads in). Eventually get a rain barrel hooked up too with the autofilling toilet mechanism. Everything is going to be under the coop up off the ground. But first, I think it's time to go clean up chicken poop, yea! lol

Back
Top Bottom