I Have No Clue!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ameraucanacrazy, May 19, 2012.

1. ameraucanacrazy

ameraucanacrazy Songster

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    Okay so we had about 40 chicks and now I'm down to about 12. They seemed fine and then they started getting really lite and their wings were not tight up against their side they were dragging the ground ( the wings) and they just started dropping like flies. We bought some poultry spray and sprayed them but they are still dying. And I have been feeding them start and grow. Can anyone please tell me what to do thanks.

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Songster

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    How old are the chicks?

3. ameraucanacrazy

ameraucanacrazy Songster

Feb 11, 2009
    macon,ga
    Three months old

4. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Songster

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    I received an order of twenty-five chicks, and one died. Then, I started to notice that two more were fading and I thought would die over night. One couldn't walk anymore. I bought some Poly Vi Sol without Iron and gave them a drop. By the next morning they were both RUNNING around and fine. Maybe they need more nutrition?

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I love the poly-vi-sol. Give it to your remaining chicks.

6. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Treat for Coccidiosis. Mine did the same thing and when I had 2 necropsied, they were sick from Coccidiosis though they didn't show typical symptoms of it.

7. hannahwren

hannahwren Chirping

Feb 22, 2012
    I am hatching my first chicks EVER. . . . Are there common things that need to be done to keep this from happening to begin with??? I have 6 chicks now, ranging from 9 days to 2 days old. . . . with 16 more to hatch soon. I am so nervous after reading so many posts. And I hope all goes well with the rest of the chicks.

8. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Make sure you always have Corid on hand. Always!

9. hannahwren

hannahwren Chirping

Feb 22, 2012
    So I need to get it and have it here just in case? So nothing to do to keep things from going wrong. . . . . . Dang it. Thanks.

10. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    There really is no way to keep things from going wrong. Medicated feed may help but it won't keep birds from getting it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: