I have not seen a predator do this before

Quote:
I for one would like to see a link to the research that "Proves" this claim , emotionalistic BS is no substitute for actual research first chance you get put the link up I for one would like to see who the group is that did the research

Shoot it. Most humane way to quickly dispatch if you know what you're doing. I don't particularly like to kill things, but if it's choice between my livestock and a predator, it's easy to make that choice.

Bill

Kill something I love & I KILL YOU!
cool.png
Said it before & I'll say it again...ONLY GOOD COON IS A DEAD COON! Adopt a Coonhound
wink.png

Yuck. How awful. I'm sorry for your loss.

Dealing with a similar dilemna here. I know a nearby chicken keeper who says she has a method for humanely killing raccoons using chloroform. But she no longer has access to it. (She says whenever she asks for it, people look at her like she's planning to murder her children.)

I've also read about dispatching them by putting them in a closed container and piping in car exhaust. Don't know if that's more humane or not.

Car gasing them is humane because they slowly fall asleep and never wake up. Honestly I don't care if a coon is killed humanely or not they don't kill our livestock humanely so I wouldn't kill a coon humanely.

Quote:
I for one would like to see a link to the research that "Proves" this claim , emotionalistic BS is no substitute for actual research first chance you get put the link up I for one would like to see who the group is that did the research

SERIOUSLY!? You need medical proof that drowning is a horrible SLOW and painful process? Even fish can drown.

To the OP, I'm very sorry for your hen. What a completely horrible way to go. Congratulations on catching the culprit but I hope you are more civilized than the raccoon and dispatch of it as quickly and humanely as possible. As terrible as it is to lose chickens to predators, usually it's our own fault in some way. Taking vengeance out on an animal that is only trying to survive is below barbaric and that kind of attitude will only come back on it's owner one day.

Quote:
REALLY?? REALLY??? Are we not suppose to be smarter then the average raccoon?? do you think that the coon goes....... "how do I cause this chicken as much pain as I can while I'm eating it?" or says to his buddies "hey guys watch what I do to this one?" You are expecting a raccoon to have the same level or reasoning thinking and the same tools that we have? You are putting us on the same intelligence level as a raccoon? That's like saying your chickens shouldn't have a coop unless they can build it themselves? That has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read.

Humans make a conscious intelligent decision on how to dispose of predators raccoons do not use the same rational as we would in the same situation.

To the OP..... sorry for your loss...... as for disposal do what you think is right.

Quote:
REALLY?? REALLY??? Are we not suppose to be smarter then the average raccoon?? do you think that the coon goes....... "how do I cause this chicken as much pain as I can while I'm eating it?" or says to his buddies "hey guys watch what I do to this one?" You are expecting a raccoon to have the same level or reasoning thinking and the same tools that we have? You are putting us on the same intelligence level as a raccoon? That's like saying your chickens shouldn't have a coop unless they can build it themselves? That has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read.

Humans make a conscious intelligent decision on how to dispose of predators raccoons do not use the same rational as we would in the same situation.

To the OP..... sorry for your loss...... as for disposal do what you think is right.

X2
And btw opossums will do the same thing. Those darn thumbs...

First and formost, Im sorry for the loss of your hen.

Coon killed my entire flock nearly 3 years ago. I went out in the afternoon and they were all dead in the yard necks broken. One was missing its head and breast. I was stunned. I hve an inhome daycare and the childrenand I hatched the eggs here and we all loved those hens. I had no idea a coon could or would do somthing like that.

Since then I have gotten another nice flock of Buff Orpingtons and Auracaunas. It as the young Aracauna that ws recently attacked by a hawk. It is hard. We tried to trap the coon for weeks and was only successful in catching the neighbors cat! I have seen coons at night, but none have been able to get to my hens now.

I adore my chickens and it is so hard to lose one of them. I hope that no other coons get any more of your hens.

Mary

Quote:
Substitute automobile Starter fluid. It is ether. It works fine . Put the trap and coon down in a large garbage can. Saturate a rag with starter fluid and drop it in the garbage can. Put the lid back on and seal for 10 minutes or so. It works well and is humane.

I will kill a varmint when necessary but don't really have (nor want) feelings of vengeance against them. It is a necessity.

I am not sure that my chickens have "friends" who grieve at their death. Nor do my coons appear to take great joy in torture. I guess Mississippi animals are just simplistic.

As for varmints, I just shoot them, but I live in the country where this is possible. The above solution works for folks who have sacrificed their rights in order to live in town.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom