I have questions, I'm a new duck owner

alorradanna26

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2015
oregon
My ducklings are about 4 weeks old, they have there pin feathers peeking out from their baby fluff, my husband and I build a pen for them where one side is enclosed and the other is open with chicken wire around it. We close them in at night with the heat lamp, well this morning it's 44 outside and they waddled out of there warm area inside. So I guess my question is will they go in to the heat if they start getting cold? Or will they just sit outside and freeze? Cause if they are going to do that I will pen then in the warm part of the enclosure. Thanks!

:welcome

Probably the best thing is to watch from a distance and see for yourself. Different breeds may behave differently. From my experience, Cayugas are said to be a hearty breed. I am in Florida, so the cold was not an issue. Regardless, I set a heat lamp on one end of their brooder (5' kiddie pool) and let them decide to use it the day they arrived. The flock cuddled against the heatlamp for their first two days, then gradually moved away from it. Similarly, in the Florida heat, they know to find some shade and siesta in the middle of the day.

In a nutshell, they know where it's warm and where it's cold. They will figure it out for themselves. With a little time and consistency, they will recognize who feeds them as well. My flock come running to me like 21 feathered children when it's feeding time.

One word of warning, I did not let the ducklings out of their house to wander the property unsupervised until they were nearly full sized. I have not lost a full sized duck to airborne predators, but the little ones would be an easy target.

Enjoy,
Rich

Thank you! I did put them in their heated area for the day and will let them out when I get home, they are very attached me to me, and can see the house if they are outside.

I think breed matters...cayuga and mallards are going to be more hearty than say...peaking that was not bread and raised in the great white tundra that is the east coast, US.

But each duck is different. My ducks balked at the heat lamp at around 40 degrees once they were about 6 weeks old. I left it on at night because I think there was a bit of "teen angst" going on around the ages of 5-10 weeks they tend to get a bit ornery and happily reject any stimuli for virtually no reason. Because it's new, because it's old because its too big, because it's too small. My ducks loved to climb over things as babies and entertained themselves by playing king of the hill (or paver stone) but they hit an age where they just didn't wan to play, or eat bugs or just really do much more than what they determined was the best way to spend their time.

I rode it out and just offered them the heat, treats and water on a normal basis. They survived.

Back
Top Bottom