I have read citrus is toxic to chickens?

thndrdancr

Songster
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Belleville, Kansas
Can someone give me a little more info on this?

I have a Ameracuana that absolutely loves the pick at my grapefruit when I am finished, the Red S Link hates it tho.
And my lil Fandango would only eat pineapple juice, I tried sooooo many fruits/juices mixed with her food and that was what she finally would actually EAT, not I am feeling like I might have hurt her with it. Not that she got enuff to probably hurt her, but it was funny that that was the fruit she liked. It hasnt seemed to hurt the other two, but can someone give me a little more info on it? I have read it, and before I knew it was bad, gave it to them, and they are ok.

Another thing, I made a mistake and gave them a little corn tonite as a treat and now they are panting up a storm. How long does that stuff keep them "overheated". I forgot it does that, I have both ceiling fans going for the last three hours in the kichen and the pantry and I am FREEZING! lol :eek:

Jill

Fruit juice is not recommended because of the added sugar. As far as fruit goes ... If it is in any way toxic I should have had hundreds of dead chickens. If they get too much it can give them the runs.

Corn converts to sugar also. So between the corn and juice they likely have a major sugar rush. When they come down they will sleep well!
big_smile.png

I always thought it was only the concentrated oils in the peel that could be toxic and then only in larger amounts. More like in an industrial application, not like eating an orange. Do you remember where you read about this?

People feed citrus fruits to parrots with no problem. Mine doesn't like citrus. He likes meat!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom