I have read everything from 4mo's to 9mo's when a chick lays it's

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 007Dawn, May 1, 2009.

1. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    first egg. So I'm curiouse does this have anything to do with breed?

OR Does it just vary that much?

Thank you![​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The age when a hen first lays is somewhat dependent on the breed and somewhat on the individual hen. I have 14 hens all the same breed. The first hen to lay was barely 5 months old. Two of the others didn't start laying until they were 9 1/2 months old.

3. misty7850

misty7850 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Fort Covington, NY
    I only have a small flock, but my baby Black Astralops I hatched last year, started laying about 6 months.
    My Buff Orpington, she didn't start till about 7-8 months.
    and my silkie was about 9 months.

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I started with pullet pack over 2 years agl, hatchery choice, so I ended up with 5 different breeds, the leghorns started around 17 week, the Australops didnt start till almost 7 months.. I still have one that doesnt give me an egg. AND if he crows one more time hes going into a stew pot. [​IMG]

5. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    That's funny. If he is crowing he won't be laying. LOL Weather can have something to do with laying also. If they don't start before winter sets in you may have to wait till spring to get eggs. Good Luck

6. mschickychick

mschickychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Mississippi
  7. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    Thank you! and very funny about the pot!!!

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Besides the breed & individual hen, I think it also has to do with the time of year it is when the pullets reach maturity.

My barred rocks, leghorns, production red and easter eggers are all the same age and all but one started laying within 2 weeks of each other (22-24 weeks of age). They were born last fall. My black stars started laying at 18 weeks of age - they were born later than the others and by the time they reached maturity, the days were longer than they were when the first group reached laying age.

9. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    My Barred Rocks were hatched at the beginning of June last year and all were laying by 18 weeks. I can't say about other breeds, but I'm certain all of mine were laying within 2 weeks of one another, as I got 6 in one day by the time they were all 18 weeks.

It was late October or first week of November, I think, so the days were starting to get shorter, but the weather was still warm and wonderful.

I have read 6 months as the average time more often than any other, so I'll expect to see my new birds start laying around then.

10. Ravenseye

Ravenseye Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2008
    Pepperell, MA
    I have a Barred Rock that started laying at 5 months. Another hen, a RIR that was hatched in October hasn't laid an egg yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by