I have some beginners questions for you, promise not to laugh.

Hi, one more thing to add about the eggs: don't wash them before putting them under the broody. The hens put a protective "bloom" on the eggs when they lay them, to keep bacteria etc out. Use clean eggs as much as possible. I've had success with not-so-clean eggs, but the shells are porous, so there's a change the egg will go off if there's poop etc on it.
If you want your hens to go broody, leave some eggs in the boxes for them. Mark it with a cross or something, so you'll know which ones are the "bait" eggs. A friend of mine does that and it's raining chicks on his farm! I've started doing it recently and I have one hen sitting and two more going broody, but not sitting yet.
One of my hens showed no sign of going broody, until she found a nest full of eggs and tried to take my hand off when I went to collect them. She hatched out 7 chicks for me.

I have a question.. it seems that most say when storing eggs to incubate to keep them in a room at temp between 55 and 65 degrees. ok i get that but my question is how do you keep a room in your house at that temp. No room in my house stays at that low of temp. so do you keep them in some sort of cooler or something to keep the temp at the right temp.. thanks

Some people buy an old refridgerator or wine cooler and turn it up a bit so that it's at the right temp. I haven't tried that yet cause my house is pretty cold, so I don't need to. I just store my eggs in a cupboard at the back of the house. If your house is too hot and you're wanting to store eggs for any length of time, yup, get yourself an old cooler.

Back
Top Bottom