I have some chickens that I need help sexing...

laylerschicks

Chirping
Jun 9, 2022
Im a new chicken owner and i have some 5 week old and a few 3 week old chicks that I need help making sure of their sex. (The first is Roxie and she looks like shes crowing but i had a treat for her)

Roxie (barred rock)
roxie.png

Yellow Mellow (Buff Polish)
yellow.png

Bob Ross (White Crested Black Polish)
bob rosss.png

also bob ross
bob rossss.png

Blue (Brown Leghorn)
blue .png

Patsy (Buff Orpington)
patsy .png

Belinda (California White)
rosie .png

Repecka (New Hampshire Red)
repcka .png

Berry (Red or Partridge Silkie)
berry.png

Sorry for the bad pics, just tell me if you need better ones ;)

Are you saying you think bob ross and roxie are cockrels?

Yes Roxie and 3rd Bob Ross are males....that's really large red wattles for 3 to 5 weeks.

You might luck out and Roxie is female as sometimes Barred females are precocious, but I think you'll see a large red comb develop in Roxie within 3 weeks.

LofMc

To me, and I'm still leaning myself, apart from the polish and silke (I'm no good at sexing them) they all look like pullets.

Looking closer, Bob Ross #2 also has quite a bit of wattle development and may be male.

Polish and Silkies are definitely harder to sex, with Silkies very difficult.

The best overall sign of maleness is red, larger comb, and red larger wattles. Sometimes the comb is a bit large but pale while the wattles are large.

Most females do not develop any significant comb or wattles until point of lay, which is generally around 18 to 20 weeks of age.

So when you have a youngster developing pinkish, largish comb or wattles at a young age, it usually means male.

LofMc

This is my white crested polish who i am fairly certain is a pullet. Bob Ross has much wilder "hair" and prominant wattles in comparison. Hope that helps!

Attachments

• 20220808_190936.jpg
    20220808_190936.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom