I have some questions about silkies

I would recommend a quarantine of a month if you have the facilities to do so. Even then, there are diseases that can result in an asymptomatic carrier state. It is a personal choice.

Silkies are vulnerable, but I have done lots of introductions and can tell you that chickens are individuals. So what you can do is after your quarantine is over and you are ready to integrate them, it is helpful to put them nearby but fenced off (like fence off part of the coop or run) so they can start the process of joining the flock. After a couple of weeks, try allowing the silkies access to the other section but stay there for a couple of hours and observe.

If there is a peck or two and the aggression stops, that is normal. If the large fowl corner them and don't quit, or gang up on them and keep pecking at them with the silkies cowering, then it won't work at that time and separate them again.

I wouldn't worry too much unless you see the aggression at the time of integration (after two weeks of being close but separated).

Not everyone has facilities to do all this...so if you don't and you are going to put them right in be prepared to pull them out and it might not work, especially with your Leghorns and RIR. Some silkies I have had have actually been near the top of the pecking order, believe it or not. So they can hold their own but give them a fair chance so to speak.

Quote:
I have 9 silkies and 3 Barred Rock large flock and 2 huge light brahma large flock all together in my 4x8 coop. the brahmas are the queens now that they are mature but for a long time my oldest silkie hen was top queen even over my barred rocks who were still pretty young. It wasn't until hen went broody, raised chicks for 2 months, then broody again that she lost her position. in this time brahmas matured and became *#^$&'s. For the most part though they all get along pretty well. My DD has a silkie roo who is in with my girls for the time being till her coop done and I realized tonight when looking at my eggs before cooking that 2 of my Barred Rocks and 1 of my Brahmas are laying fertile eggs! LOL

My silkie roo just likes his girls a little on the plus size!
gig.gif
2x his size actually
lau.gif
:lau Ive been watching and never caught em so I was very shocked to see some clear bulls eyes on the eggs.

I hatched 3 silkies (possibly 2 roosters and 1 pullet) at the same time as I hatched 5 lavender orpingtons (1 rooster & 4 pullets). They grew up together and look out for each other. When they were 4 weeks old I moved them to the coop with the bigger chicks (they are 4 pullets & 1 rooster). Everyone gets along fairly well - there are occassional chases and pecking order pecks. We did loose one Silkie over Christmas - we think he was pecked in the head by one of the younger roosters and died - but we don't know for sure. My other two Silkies stay up on the roost at night with the Orpingtons and they all keep each other warm. It is 18F this morning, the coldest we've been so far this winter and not a normal occurence in VA. My chicks are all old enough that I do not add supplemental heat. I have a thermometer in the coop and I check it when I'm out there cleaning up. The temperature is usually 10F warmer in the coop then it is outside. Sometimes it's even warmer then that if the sun is beating down midday. You can wash your Silkie, but I wouldn't leave it outside in our current weather wet as we are getting 20F at night and 40F in the day.

Plan your coop to be draft free and with good ventilation - you won't need supplemental heat unless the chicks aren't feathered out yet.

No, chickens have a hierarchy, so introducing new chicks to existing chickens can be difficult. Especially when the new chickens you're introducing have a soft spot in their skulls and vision impaired by fluff balls so they don't see an attack coming. (you may wish to trim back the fluff around the eyes if needed) We are only advising you to be cautious to avoid a worst case scenario. Sometimes it's easier to introduce younger new chickens, because the other hens won't see them as a threat if they are small and they will fight older pullets more to make their dominance known. Just be there to keep an eye on them, it could go fine. If you have a dog crate to put them inside the coop in so the other hens can see them, that will give you an idea how they will react. Quaratine for longer than a week is also suggested due to a risk of spreading illness, but many people choose not to.

Last edited:
Thankyou all for your help and advice.

Do you think quarantining for 2 weeks would be appropriate? Then I would keep them in the run, while the others are free ranging for about a week. Then spend the next week merging them? How does that sound?

I have learned so much from you guys! Thanks again for your time.

Mallary

Quote:
My silkies do just fine in the cold. We get temps down to -30*F at night. They aren't really crazy about the wind but if they have a place to hide, they'll be fine. I also house them with my 5 standard mutts and 2 ducks. They all get along fine. When they can't see and get a little flustered, they spook my head roo but he's learned to handle their craziness. Enjoy them! They're great!
big_smile.png

Quote:
2 weeks quarantining is better than 1 week, but a month is recommended. You will have to make the decision based on how comfortable you are risking any possible illness transferring to your existing flock, and how much you trust the person you're getting the birds from has a clean, healthy flock. Are they NPIP? That doesn't mean the birds can't be sick, but it's a good sign. Unfortunately birds can carry diseases and not show symptoms until the stresses, such as a move, trigger the symptoms later. We hear so many sad cases of people having to cull their entire flock after adding new birds.

Oh, and yes you can bathe silkies - they're really good about it actually! But if it's cold, don't do it this time of year unless you can keep them inside for a day. It takes a really long time to get their feathers dried all the way to the skin.

I'm sure you will love your new silkies, and I think it's great that you're trying to learn all you can first. We're here to help as much as we can.
smile.png

Quote:
When I go to shows, the birds that were shown go into quarantine to at least 4 weeks. During the time your birds are in quarantine, I would treat for mice/lice just incase and watch them for any sneezing, discharge, runny eyes, etc.
Better to be safe and quarantine for several weeks rather than 1 or 2 weeks and missing something.

Back
Top Bottom