I have some questions.

starlitchicken

Chirping
Apr 30, 2023
Hello, I’m a first time chick mama to 16 chicks. They are now around two weeks old. I have a couple of questions. I have one chick that is significantly smaller than the others. They were mailed on the same day by the same hatchery. Should I just keep an eye on her? or should I intervene by trying to catch her and nurse her back to health ? Also cleaning the brooder is a traumatizing experience for all the chicks. What can I do to make it less stressful for them ? I’ve tried to catch them and put them in a different container while I clean the brooder, but that just traumatizes them. They are scared of my hands and don’t want to be handled at all.

Attachments

• 7D83968C-A1C9-4FC1-9515-3A9172EFB374.jpeg
    7D83968C-A1C9-4FC1-9515-3A9172EFB374.jpeg
    410.9 KB · Views: 16
Chickens are scared (chicken) of everything.
Now when you have to put your have in, go right down to the bottom and get still fo a few seconds. Them move your hand along the bottom. You need to be hand feeding treats. again, put your hand in to the bottom and wait, then offer treats. Chickens are dumb but not stupid. They learn fast with food they like, fresh berries , raisins, meal worms , live crickets from the bait shop...

Is the smaller chick not getting her fair share of food, lethargic, not doing well all around? Try sitting with them with your hand in their container for a little while and just spending time with them petting, feeding, holding, etc. Make sure your movements are slow, nothing quick and startling. When I change my chicks container I move them to an already prepared second container that already has their food, water, and bedding in it.

I read something about some chicks being runts, that would be smaller than the others but fine otherwise.

My chicks were the same about hands, but I saw a video of a good way to somewhat desensitize them is coming in lower, not from above, and handle them more frequently, bringing them age appropriate treats ONLY when your hands are in there, so it's a good thing when your hands are there, not just for cleaning or moving.

Has worked for me so far, might work for you too

Is the smaller chick not getting her fair share of food, lethargic, not doing well all around? Try sitting with them with your hand in their container for a little while and just spending time with them petting, feeding, holding, etc. Make sure your movements are slow, nothing quick and startling. When I change my chicks container I move them to an already prepared second container that already has their food, water, and bedding in it.
Yes. The smaller chick is pushed aside at the waterer and at feedings. She’s lethargic and stands by herself a lot

Yes. The smaller chick is pushed aside at the waterer and at feedings. She’s lethargic and stands by herself a lot
I would definitely start paying better attention to the smaller one. Raw egg yolks are good for energy and giving nutrients. Electrolyte water is also a good energy booster. I have a recipe for it if you'd like it.

Back
Top Bottom