I have to ask

What is the reasoning in having a mulberry tree in the chicken yard? Just curious. I love mulberries. I am currently planning what to plant around my coop. My coop, by the way, has a dirt floor with pine shavings (deep litter). Works for me, here.

Free food for the chickens, in the books I read (Published in the 50's) the old-timers would do that. I did one better in that now we have different varieties now, so I planted the Illinois Everbearing Mulberries which drop fruit for 10 to 12 weeks instead of the 2 weeks the local wild mulberries do. I have since planted apples and persimmons to extend the free food season well into fall.

I put mine on stilts because of space. I am in the city and having the coop raised allows the chickens to have a larger run area. It also gives them shade and away from rain. I also hang their feeder under it so it wouldn't get wet from the rain. Having it raised is helpful when it's cleaning time and collecting eggs. I love the poop boards. Although I haven't cleaned the coop completely yet, I plan to clean it twice per year. Using the poop board has helped keep the poop build-up down. I worry about potential smell and try to clean the run daily. I want to be a good neighbor.

Back
Top Bottom