I have to hatch in the same incubator...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by IggiMom, May 1, 2009.

1. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    :(Ok here is my problem. I have two batches of eggs about five days apart. I know I planned poorly on this. On Monday one batch will be on day 18. So that is when I stop turning.

I have a 1588 Hovabator ordered but I am sure it will not be here by Monday so they will all be in the same incubator and I CANNOT afford to go out and buy another LG.

Can I try to up the humidity say to 55 or so and reach in very very quickly to turn the batch who still need to be turned? I don't see any alternative--is it hopeless?

This is my first hatch and I really didn't mean for this to happen but it has. It will not happen again because I do have the other one ordered.

I was all happy because I did see some movement when I candled them last night. The first batch of eggs are VERY important. They are really lovely eggs that I want chicks from. Of course I want chicks from all of them but these are especially lovely eggs.

2. Scraps

Scraps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    I did the same thing you did when I first started hatching. Fortunately I got
    my 2nd bator in time to seperate the eggs before they started hatching.

I would do exactly as you were thinking, up the humidity a little and turn the others
    as quickly as possible. Also, you could mist your hatching eggs a little before you
    close the lid. People hatch like that all the time, I'm sure they will be OK. Good luck,
    the first batch is always special so I hope it works out for you!!

3. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Oh gosh thanks, you have made me feel better about it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by