I have to skin a CAT!

you have the right to say no to disecting the cat. (its true) just talk to your teacher and say that you do not agree and you will not do it. i refuse to disect anything and none of my teachers will ever make me. if they do make you, you can complain to whoever is in charge of him.

Quote:
I believe they get the cats from the humane society. They also get them from people who donate them. They only accept animals that have died of natural causes, although there are some people that go around picking up strays and "donating" them. It's actually kind of sad.

I figured something like that. I adopted Roscoe from a no kill shelter who got him from anothershelter and they got him from a kill shelter .Nobody wanted a half blind three year old black and white cat.
It is sad how many animals die everyday.

Quote:
I agree
I found out in 9th grade that I had to do it. I swore up and down that there was no way I would........until the end of the year. I did it and it was fascinating. You really need to just get past the fuzzy and cute stuff. I was going pre-vet and was in a 10th grade class (accelerated). My teacher tried getting us chimps but couldn't get funded for it. I never finished college (stupid kid
roll.png
) but am going back to school at age 36 and am really looking forward to it. After the first day it gets easier............it really isn't so bad..............

Quote:
I did this. I did this in highschool biology when i was in 12th grade. It took us quite some time to finish. We traced the circulatory system, the muscles, etc..the other organs by group- my cat was pregnant.

They got ours from the pound- not the local one. After they were euthanized.

In college, I did a fetal pig, In tech school I did a rabbit that was alive but I anesthetized it, and we did a cat after we anesthetized it also- that one came from the shelter.

I DID A CHICKEN too. I dont remember where we got those from.

ooh, we did a frog that we anesthetized, so we could watch the circulation through the legs. If they died, we failed, that was fun
wink.png

I couldn't do it! I am sorry. Our local pound doesn't sell any of its animals for research. I would rather disect a murderer in prison! I know this is necessary for vets and the such but I could not disect a animal especially a cat than I could actually kill a animal. This is just me and I certainly am not going to get on a soapbox of those who have to do this.

Quote:
same here, i would rather disect a murderer than an innocent animal! i couldn't do it. in 6th grade, we had to disect a squid, i walked into the room and listened to the lecture. as soon as the squid was put in front of me, i walked out. my teacher was actually proud of me for staying in there that long! one other teacher tried to get me to rub its head so it changed colors, i looked at her and took my hand back and walked out. a kid's mom had chocolate so i got to eat hershey's as everyone else stayed in the torture room! my friends were jealous!

Quote:
Actually.....yes. A human cadaver has relevance to the subject matter. Study of the human body and its tissues is important and can only really be learned by dissecting or studying the actual thing.

I don't really care if they skin all the stray cats in the US...they need thinned out anyway...but they won't learn as much as if they were learning how the nerves lie next to the vessels and where they lie in the musculature of the human body, how joints come together, where the viscera lie in relation to the body cavity, etc.

If they were going to be vets...have at it. Nurses need to have hands on with the human body.

True what one post said....if you can't skin a cat, no need to go into nursing. Lots more gross things await and, if you can't stomach them, you are going to be pretty poor help out on the floor.

I agree that skinning a cat has shock value. I loved biology in HS but could not dissect a frog and took the fail grade then changed classes. But if you are really wanting to be in the medical profession you will see worse. When you see an infant in the hospital that has been stitched from it's armpit to its knee you have to have a strong intestinal fortitude. This cat will make that look like a piece of cake.
I know I have seen just that, the hardest thing is to see the parent who caused this by abuse sitting there and not wanting to knock their block off.
Just get it in your mind that it is only a body not a soul. At least if this kitty died because it was in a shelter or natural death, you made its life worth something more than it was. Good luck!
If it makes it any easier ask if you can give it a proper burial afterward if they are going to dispose of it anyway.

YA i would also rather disect a murderer or watever but i couldnt do it on an animal . Its sad enough the poor cats had to be put down becasue no one wanted them . Now they have to go and be cut up . Let them rest in piece .

Quote:
Haha, I'm sure alot of people say the exact same thing about chickens.

I've disected quite a few things in my life, but if it is really uncomfortable for you, I know they have recordings and 'Role Playing' type of disecting labs online, I would think they'd make you do the cat, but that might be an alternative for you.

Back
Top Bottom