I have two muscovy ducks suffering from niacin deficancy

The curling of the toes your seeing could be related to a nutritional problem, such as a deficiency in niacin (B3), or a deficiency, in Riboflavin (B2). Another common cause for curling of the toes in ducks is improper environmental conditions such as keeping them on slippery flooring.

For the duck, who's having problems I would consider wrapping her feet with bandaging to correct the curling in the toes and also start her on B vitamins. For the bandage, you could cut out a cardboard base for structure, add padding over top of that, and use vet wrap to wrap it around her foot. Any bandage that helps keep the toes flat, and not curved will suffice.

View attachment 2431962View attachment 2431963

For B vitamins, you could use Vitamin B complex pills containing niacin, and riboflavin, or pick up some Cattle B Complex Injectable and offer her 1ml over treats once a day. In addition, feed the ducks a feed formulated for waterfowl, or all poultry such as Purina Flock Raiser, or Mazuri feed. Make sure the ducks are able to get outside on green grass and are allowed to bathe daily in deep water.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...uymkiLjJlinxUx_A6O-zvHbbWx2RFOz8aAp62EALw_wcB

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.75862/
Thank you so much how long can I leave the foot without vet wrap ill have to order some of it and does that mean he won't die? And is this early stage of the deficancy or late

I have just bought two 3 month old muscovy ducks they are both males and this evening I went to give them food and let them run around and swim but both of them tried coming out of there house and both flopped one of them has now thankfully now starting to recover from the deficancy and he can now walk around but still fall aftee a while the second one was in critical condition earlier he could not stand even but I took him inside warmed him up as I thought he was sick from the cold but its still not minus temperatures yet but I gave him food and water I put corn and meal worms in his food so at this point I don't know what to do he now standing but slightest of bump he just falls to the ground someone please help me out in new to this duck business and I'm really worried about them both
members.jpg

Thank you so much how long can I leave the foot without vet wrap ill have to order some of it and does that mean he won't die? And is this early stage of the deficancy or late

As long as she's getting feed/water into her system, it's unlikely the leg problem will kill her. It's hard for me to judge the severity of it since I'm not there, but I've seen much worse. Hopefully, by wrapping the foot to correct the curling, getting her in a better environment, and administering B vitamins she will be feeling better soon.

Back
Top Bottom