i have3-13wk old "chicks"having problems introducing them to the girls

da-cajun-angla

Songster
12 Years
Jan 22, 2008
laplace,la
i put the chicks in the run with the girls last weekend. i have 1 dark brahma, 1 ee, 1 jap black tailed bantam rooster. had no prob's with the rooster, but the ee started growling and pecking at them...never heard a hen growl b4...lol...so i put the ee back in the coop, closed it, and then at the top of the pecking order, the dark brahma cornered them all, and was taking turns pecking at their heads! i picked her up, then grabbed all the chicks and put them back in their cage. the poor things were terrified. they are big enough to fly away (as far as they can in the run). my question is, would this had went on for a long time, or would they eventually cool down? i was too worried that they would hurt the chicks. they are so darn mean! i've heard of putting them in the coop at night, but i think when they wake up, all hell would break loose and i wouldnt be there to protect them.i know its impossible to predict what they'll do b/c every chicken has a different personality, just looking for some advice. oh, i've tried putting the chicks right next to the run to get them used to them, but obviously that didnt worl...duhh...any1 with help, thanks in advance!
shaun

13 weeks may be a bit young yet. As long as they are the same size though, it shouldn't be a problem. Just put them in and let them fight it out. Just don't get in their way because they will have to figure out their own pecking order. Only take someone out if they get seriously injured, beyond a bloody comb. Things will calm down in a few weeks. Best of luck.

the prob is my dark brahma is 11-12lbs, she is a big girl...funny thing is my banty roo is like 1.5lbs and keeps them in line and they have never hurt him...maybe i can tape some combs and spurs on the chicks...lol...yup, :lol:that'll take care of the problem:lol:
thanks,
shaun

I have found it is best to wait until they are the same size as the older birds. I also like to put in quite a few at a time, spread the beatings if you will. If you put one or two in they will all peck at them and could kill them.

More is better and older is better.

thats the thing...its 2 grown hens, (and u know how big brahmas get) and the banyty. then the 3 chicks(2 blk sexed links,and 1-prod. red) so i have no choice but to put all 3 in at one time to minimize the chance of them ganging up on one...i would have never thought they would be so aggressive, cause they r so sweet to me...
thanks
shaun

so i should put them in at about 16-18 wks old? their chick cage is getting mighty small, thats why i need to transfer them. i have another cage, i just dont want to split them up, b/c ill have to re-introduce them too...loose/loose...
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom