I hear very little about Rouens

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
I hear a lot on here about pekins, and runners, Muscovy, Call, Aztec and many others, not much about the little Rouens, I love ours, they are inquisitive, they are not trouble makers in terms of flock problems and they seem to be fairly healthy compared to the pekins. When I have been doctoring the others, they both come to assist, they also like to untie my shoes and check out the medical bag Or whatever else is there.
are they not as popular or are they just not drawing as much attention to themselves?

Bubbles and Bonkers
527436BE-60E6-4CCD-9A14-2E75B6E005F1.jpeg
D6147B34-6F60-4785-97D9-25988DE98B32.jpeg
EF277A5D-D3B8-4858-92C2-F088E185AEAA.jpeg
F6528482-90C2-4831-A311-74DE5ED86D04.jpeg

Little Rouens, Whats little about them? LOL :confused: Ours are mixed with Pekin and thankfully at 16 weeks everyone is staying healthy and happy and starting to come into their colors. :)

Attachments

• Big D.jpg
    Big D.jpg
    985.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Rwin 01.jpg
    Rwin 01.jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Rwin 03.jpg
    Rwin 03.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Rwin 04.jpg
    Rwin 04.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 6
Little Rouens, Whats little about them? LOL :confused: Ours are mixed with Pekin and thankfully at 16 weeks everyone is staying healthy and happy and starting to come into their colors. :)
ours are little compared to the Pekins, about 4.5 lbs vs our hens at 7.5 lbs.
Not sure why I chose 3 Pekins and 3 Rouens, I really just was going for Rouens. Love em all, albeit Squabbles, my bumble foot Pekin is trying my patients, mean bird when she’s not getting her way.
Great coloration on yours, I like it!

Last edited:
I raised Rouens fifteen years ago, or so. I really enjoyed them. I thought they were gentle and great layers. They were a lot of fun. I'd like to get some again, but don't particularly want hatchery stock. I also don't need exhibition bloodlines either. Those are some big ol' birds.

Attachments

• Rouen Ducks.jpg
    Rouen Ducks.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 5
ours are little compared to the Pekins, about 4.5 lbs vs our hens at 7.5 lbs.
Not sure why I chose 3 Pekins and 3 Rouens, I really just was going for Rouens. Love em all, albeit Squabbles, my bumble foot Pekin is trying my patients, mean bird when she’s not getting her way.
Great coloration on yours, I like it!
Thank you, Their colors were all by luck of the draw. We started with our two wild mallard hens and wanted to find them a BF for later on. We found ten Rouen Pekin Mallard mix chicks and went for it with the plan of rehoming the extra and keeping a Drake for the hens.

Well little did we know, at the time we would end up loving them all :love and not want to rehome any of them. :) So we are busy trying to keep up with their growing needs as they grow into mature birds who are wanting to mate soon.:he

I am busy with building other coops to keep them separated until spring time, then worry about babies.:celebrate

They are a lot of work but at the same time, a lot of fun. :)

Thank you, Their colors were all by luck of the draw. We started with our two wild mallard hens and wanted to find them a BF for later on. We found ten Rouen Pekin Mallard mix chicks and went for it with the plan of rehoming the extra and keeping a Drake for the hens.

Well little did we know, at the time we would end up loving them all :love and not want to rehome any of them. :) So we are busy trying to keep up with their growing needs as they grow into mature birds who are wanting to mate soon.:he

I am busy with building other coops to keep them separated until spring time, then worry about babies.:celebrate

They are a lot of work but at the same time, a lot of fun. :)
Now that I know you are a sucker, you want a Pekin hen?

Back
Top Bottom