I hope i did not kill them :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dfchaser, Mar 27, 2009.

1. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    I set more eggs in the incubator last night. I did not even think to check the temp before bed. I woke up this morning and it was 95. I am hoping that they will be fine, the eggs have been in there for 12 days, hopefully it will just slow them down a touch.

What do you think?

2. Chickenteacher

Chickenteacher Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Patterson, Louisiana
    I think it shouldn't be a problem.....could it be the new eggs brought the temp down and it will stabilize?

3. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Quote:I agree. I think it will stabilize.

4. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    I am fairly sure that the new eggs brought the temp down. Should i work to adjust the temp myself or will the eggs take care of it?

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Was the temp. right before you put the eggs in?

The rule of thumb when setting eggs is to walk away for a couple hours and not look at the bator for a few hours. The new eggs always make the temp. and humidity levels go wonky. [​IMG]

If the temp. is still that low this morning though, then you need to adjust it to get it to the right level.

Don't worry! The eggs will be just fine! [​IMG]

6. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    What they said. Being cool for awhile does no harm. It will stabilize as the eggs warm and the cardboard finishes absorbing the moisture it is going to. Eggs in a nest often cool for long periods with no harm to them.

Prolonged heat spikes over 104/105 will kill a chick far more quickly and more routinely than any period of cooling off.

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by