I introduced 3 new RIR pullets into my Hen House

jwsmith1959

Songster
Feb 23, 2020
Orchard, Texas
Well...Free Ranging birds is a challenge. I posted in the predator section about losing 4 birds in a two hour period. It is still a "Stone Cold Whodunnit" and only have my own theory. Needless to say, I needed to repopulate somewhat. I picked up 3 RIR pullets to introduce into my remaining Production Red.

She is about 42 weeks old and welcomed the new girls with "open wings"...so to speak. She is very knowledgeable about the property (about 8-10 acres...but the chickens have only really utilized about 4-5 in the front). I'm guessing along with the buyer that one was about 19 weeks, and two were in the 14-15 week range.

The new girls (after about a week in the coop), stuck pretty close to home and it has made my Sophie (I named the remaining one), also stick close. I was running an errand last Saturday and got home a little late and Sophie and one of the new girls were along one edge of the property and no matter what I did, I could not get them to come to the coop. I wound up waiting until sundown, and lo and behold, all the girls were roosted up. I've learned to expect the unexpected sometimes, but my girls are almost always ready to coop up well before dusk.

I'm just rambling and will leave it at that.

Back
Top Bottom