i jsut candled....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by austinhart123, Sep 27, 2009.

1. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    im a total loser. i just candled a few of the 37 eggs i set yesterday morning, and i did see develpment when compared to an egg from the fridge, i candled maybe 10 and they all lookedd fertile, which is good cuase i thought i was gunna have alot of duds this hatch since the roos in the pens are really young, but all the ones i candled has definite tiny little vein or two in the top corner of the yolk, ill candle all the eggs again on tuesday for an official count of whats fertile and what isnt

2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Patience, grasshopper....Don't candle again until day 7...

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Great, wish you a good hatch

4. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Good luck [​IMG]

5. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Yea, wait and candle between day 8 and 10.

Patience~ [​IMG]

6. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i usually always candle on day three-four, but if theres a good reason why i should wait till day 8 than i will

7. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    I guess its up to each individual to candle on which day. I always wait until day 8 and then on day 18. I prefer not to handle them too much.

Keep us updated and good luck for a successful hatch.

8. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:i guess im just really bad at following the rules lol, but ive done it like this for a long time and always have good hatch rates

9. abooth

abooth Chillin' With My Peeps

I just set my first batch of eggs on 9/25 in a bator I made myself. I pulled a couple out and candled them to see what they look like. Then I candled an infertile egg from my fridge. The ones I candled in the bator all looked fertile. I grabbed a couple this morning and I saw tiny veins in one. It's crazyy but I Like to candle them, I have to turn them by hand so I'm already in there. I heard candling doesn't hurt them (unless you drop the egg!).

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    You can candle day 4-5 but you may not see something on an egg that is developing or a high rate of eggs may quit around that time and you won't know it until you candle again. Day 7-10 it's usually quite obvious which eggs are good and which aren't so most wait until then. I just recandle. I don't believe anyone that says candling does any harm to the egg. I've candled some every day and had them hatch. I'll candle day 4-5, again day 7, again on day 10, on day 14, and on day 18.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by