I just bought Ancona Duck eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

awesomefowl

Argues with Goats
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
raxacoricofallapatorious
yay! My dad isn't so psyched though....
roll.png

So does anybody have any tips on hatching and raising ducklings? I can't wait!!!!!!!!!
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif

woot.gif

I'm think of vent sexing at hatch time, and butchering the excess drakes. I don't want too many ducks (meaning duck plural, not the females), since I'm going to keep them with the chickens. Any tips?
Thanks!
celebrate.gif

Congrats!!! I love my Anconas!! They're a medium size duck, maybe 7-8 lbs. Larger than calls, smaller than pekins
smile.png
Can you get a copy of Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks? It will be your most useful reference. Incubator at 99.5F, humidity 60%, lockdown at 25 days and then jack the humidity up to, I think, 80% til hatch. Turn the eggs 3x a day til lockdown. Opinions vary on hatching them upright or on their sides. (I like on their sides but I'm just a noob) Take the babies out when they're dry and stick em in a brooder with a hot spot of 95F and places to get away from the heat too. Feed em starter crumbles and water them with a container with a lid only big enough for their heads to dip in, or they'll make a horrific mess and get soaked and chilled. There is a LOT of info here on the site - I gave you a real rough basic outline. Search ducks on the incubation & hatching forum above and you'll be reading for days...and get Storey's Guide!

thank you, so are yours!! I especially love the blotchy spots on the front left guy - drake is he? And the 'bikini top' the one on the right has! Are you hatching from these guys? Maybe we can swap eggs in the spring?
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom