I just caught a 3 1/2-week old escaped quail in a hayfield!

seriousbill

Songster
11 Years
May 4, 2008
Ohio
I think I might kinda rule.
big_smile.png

The little devil flew right over my head out of the coop and out into the hayfield adjoining our property this morning. Darn if I didn't think he was a goner. Those things can MOVE. But I got him back by diving into the tall grass like a pro baseball player! Weeell, maybe not quite like that
roll.png
Anyway, I was itchy and grass-stained, but I had that baby Bobwhite, by gosh. Just wanted to share the triumph.
yippiechickie.gif

Wow glad you caught him.
Last week my DH told me there was a button quail in the bathroom. Somehow it had gotten out of the brooder and had been roaming the house for 2 days.

Yah, VERY lucky. I still have no idea how I did it. My usual luck would be missing the quail and landing in the creek, LOL.

clap.gif

I've thought about diving after chicks/chickens/ducks before...then it's like my mind stops me; "Remember, you are older, and very out of shape...imagine how much that will hurt.." and I decide to catch them a different way
gig.gif

LOL. I know the feeling of triumph when we catched our escaped "friends". Had one of my baby Sumatra fly past my head last week when I opened their rabbit hutch. That little sucker had two teenagers chasing it and it still managed to get past both of us and dive under a "grown-in" table in the barn. It dissapeared under a work bench that had been in the barn and had "grown-in" to the dirt floor. I'm still can't get over how that little blue baby laid down on it's side and kicked with one foot to squeeze into the 2" hole between the table and the dirt.

I was ticked! We tried spooking the little thing back out making noises and whatnot, we tried waiting for it to get tired of the dark and come out on it's own. Nothing! I thought one of my baby Sumatra was stuck! Laid down on my stomache in the dirt and dug a hole big enough to get my hand and arm in and started fishing for this chick. All the while praying to God I didn't find a snake or a rat, I touched something and panicked, jerking my arm out. I REALLY REALLY didn't want to find a snake, rat, or spider. So now I resorted to a stick and began gently fishing around. Out slides the little Blue scooting away from the stick. Still on it's side propelling itself by kicking with one foot. And you know what?!? It almost got past the two of us AGAIN! Thankfully, I snatched it by a wing and was able to put it back with it's siblings.

Of course now it is one of the easiest to catch. LOL

Great job with the quail!

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom