I just found out that chickens seem to respond to/enjoy music? Share any stories you have!

Hanusaur

Chirping
Mar 14, 2021
This just happened and it was so interesting haha. It’s bedtime for us, and we’ve got the chicks in the bedroom - we have a couple dogs, so this is safest place for them while they’re growing big enough for the backyard coop. And when they were smaller and more vulnerable, keeping them close to us allowed us to be sure they were healthy and nothing was wrong with them. They’ve never been too noisy except for right before bedtime. And after they fall asleep, they sleep through the night! They’ve actually been polite roommates lol. This experience has also let us observe their behaviors and different personalities and got to see them do things we might not otherwise have seen, and they are such hilarious little critters.
Anyway, tonight one of them was being particularly noisy for about an hour. She’s the one who usually gets the loudest at night before she finds a comfortable spot to sleep.
As a joke, I decided to start singing her a bedtime song to make my boyfriend laugh - he started singing with me lol. To our surprise, after an hour of loud complaining, she went silent and looked like she was actually listening to the song. Then she sat down and fell asleep!
Then of course one of her sisters stepped on her and woke her up.
So I saw that as an opportunity to test my song again, to see if the first time was a coincidence. But as I sang the song, she sat back down and started falling asleep again!
I thought that was super crazy so I decided to google if chickens enjoyed music, and apparently they do. I read that they like calming music the most.

I’ve turned into quite the chicken nerd since we started watching them grow, and I love learning new things about our little fluffs lol.

Does anyone have any stories about singing to or playing music for your chickens? How’d they react?

Well, my story doesn't include music but it's pretty cute. . . . So I have 3 little chicks one Barred Rock, Black Australorp, and one Buff Orpington and coincidently I have a female rabbit who is so desperate to be a mother so I experimented and put the Buffy next to the rabbit and the chick dove underneath her and the rabbit just started sleeping while cuddling the chick. :jumpy :bun

Well, my story doesn't include music but it's pretty cute. . . . So I have 3 little chicks one Barred Rock, Black Australorp, and one Buff Orpington and coincidently I have a female rabbit who is so desperate to be a mother so I experimented and put the Buffy next to the rabbit and the chick dove underneath her and the rabbit just started sleeping while cuddling the chick. :jumpy :bun
That’s super cute! <3

As I was putting together a lesson on African music, my chick sat quietly listening next to me. I didn't expect that! She really doesn't care when I sing to her; I guess she enjoys more of the band sound!
I think my girls respond to my singing because they recognize it from me always singing them bedtime songs as little chicks lol. I also put on bluegrass music and hang out with them outside, and they tend to approach my phone and investigate where the sound is coming from. Every time I change the song, they tilt their little heads and seem to listen for a few seconds before going back to their scratching and pecking 😆 so cute

my current lot did start complaining after 6 hours of me listening to radio the other day so not sure how much they enjoyed listening to it, then again I thik they might have been coplaining about the choice of song being played, modern music can be complete rubbish these days.
Mine are also noisiest just before bedtime, my two hit single songs go as follows:
"oy" and "shut up" and they quieten right down.

Well, I found out during a long car trip that chicken and ducks like classical music! I picked up a pair of ducks and 3 chickens from a friend living around 500 km away, had them together in a big box, then they started making a ruckus, every time I played classical music, they calmed down, the instant I put on other music, off they would go again, squabbling and complaining, me singing along to the songs did not calm them down, maybe it had to do with the (missing) quality of my singing ?!

Back
Top Bottom