I just got ENORMOUSLY lucky...

Pupsnpullets

Songster
11 Years
Mar 9, 2008
SoCal desert
My landlord's daughter's yorkshire terrier got after my momma hen and 4 little babies yesterday. They're 3 weeks old and it was the FIRST day I'd let them out of little cage to explore inside the bigger run and it was the FIRST time the yorkie has been here. I didn't know they were bringing the dog.

The little f*#@!*r managed to wedge his little carcass inside with the 4 older ones and the mom and babies, and had a blast. When I figured something was up it was too late. All the babies, except one, had disappeared and all the older birds were seriously traumatised (there will be no eggs for a week, I'm sure). The one little fella I found was wedged under a nest box was in total shock and wasn't moving. We got the little s@#$t! under control and locked him away, then I let the momma out hoping the babies weren't dead, just hiding, and she could call them to her.

I then had to leave for a special event which I couldn't, and didn't want to, ditch. I did a four hour round trip so that I could get back last night and assess the damage this morning. First thing I saw was a large pile of the momma's feathers beside my door and I was afraid to go out!

I took a deep breath and went out to do inventory and found only the rooster was left in the run - that dammed dog had had another go at them before he left! But .... every single bird was accounted for!!!! Nothing dead or injured!!! Whew.

My next trick is to try and catch momma and babies and get them to shelter before the road runners, hawks or snakes get them. That is a chore I'll enjoy much more than burying them, which I what I could easily have been faced with. Thank God!

Barb, who is extremely grateful,

MissPrissy, they witnessed it and they also witnessed me swatting the mutt very solidly across the back when he made another dive at them. That caused the dog to be scooped up and removed.

The landlord loves chickens and considers himself a rancher, but has no 'stock sense' whatsoever. His idea of ranching is driving a tractor.

The teenage daughter will be much more responsible in the future, she's that kind of kid - young and inexperienced but responsible and wants to do the right thing.

Barb

Yes, you certainly did...
Just because the little carpet sweeper is cute, don't judge it like that...It's terrier, terriers DIG...
I got this off Wikipedia...

Most terrier breeds were developed in the British Isles. They were used to control rats, rabbits, and foxes both over and under the ground
The gameness of the early hunting terriers was exploited by using them in sporting contests. Initially, terriers competed in events such as clearing a pit of rats. The dog that was fastest in killing all the rats won. In the 1700s some terriers were crossed with hounds to improve their hunting, and some with fighting dog breeds to "intensify tenacity and increase courage."[1]
Toy terrier - Bred "down" from larger terriers, these terriers are shown in the Toy or Companion group. Included among these breeds are the English Toy Terrier and the Yorkshire Terrier. While small, they retain true terrier character and are not "lap dogs."
Today, most terriers are kept as companion dogs and make great family pets. They are generally loyal and affectionate to their owners but can be "big characters" requiring a firm hand.

Back
Top Bottom