I just lost over 12 Bantam Chickens Saturday night not sure what to do

lovemylivestock

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 21, 2009
Good Morning, though I am having a hard time calling it good still. I need to help and suggestions. Here is as much info on my issue as I can think of now but feel free to ask questions.

I had over 12 Bantams in our coup and they ALL gone. We have 2 remaining ones only because they sleep in the house in a big dog crate(they were about to go out and join the others)as they were babies and the parents did not want to take care of them so we raised them ourselves. I woke to see what I feel was a coyote in my backyard and I live in Pungo part of VB, VA. My husband confirmed it later during the day when he saw it coming up to attempt to attack some other chickens we have(full size ones). We also have 22 ducks and 2 goats. We put all animals up at night but what are we to do during the day? We had a female bantam come up missing one day a few months ago also during the day that free roamed with a male chicken.

My husband slept outside last night hoping it would return so he could shoot it since it probably will be back for more. He had no luck though. Also 3 barred rock roosters that are in wire cages seperately as they are mean were also attacked but came out okay with some pretty minor damage done to there combs and feet but this thing has been working on them for a few months too as they have had their combs torn before. We had a problem a few months ago with it attacking some roosters we had in an open coup with tall fencing around it and a wire top but something got 4 of the 5 roosters(not in one night) we had in there which is when we relocated the one remaining one to a coup near the house. At that time my husband had suggested that it was a coyote as well but we were iffy at settling on it as it was hard to see. We heard what seemed to be pups barking right before the attack on the roosters so we think it may have had babies.

We got a paw print Sunday morning from the what attacked all our bantams and it confirmed it is indeed a coyote which seems so crazy because we are in a place where I just did not believe there were any coyotes. Of course I have yet to find much info online confirming they do exist in my area but I saw it and it was a coyote for sure.

We can secure things during the night better but what about during the day? I do nto want to keep my ducks from playing in the yard during the day and nor the chickens and from what I was reading coyotes can attack goats as well(we have small ones). I have read that coyotes are very smart and so I don't how we are to go about getting it. I have dogs and a cat that like to go outside as well but I am terried it will get them too. I think it needs to be removed for good. Any suggestins/info would be greatly appreciated as we need help! Thank you!
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

We leave near the wildlfe refuge so not sure if that matters. I know it sounds crazy but I saw it and so did my husband otherwise we would have blames it on something else for sure. It left nothing but feathers from the bantams.
idunno.gif

Not a fox for sure....it stands to tall to be a fox....taller than my black lab. ALso it was almost white with some very slight grey. I suppose it could be a stray dog but when I went on line to see pics of foxes and coyotes it looked a lot like a coyote, it was dog-like. I have seen the foxes we had in the area which seem to be less and they never looked like this thing. Thank you, I hope we can control it and soon!

Coyotes are everywhere. They are ridiculously adaptable. And, yes, it will go after your goats, cats and smaller dogs, as well. They hunt during the day or night. Mostly night, but if they are hungry.... I would try to keep my animals locked up until you get him.

I wish I could offer you a good, clever way to get rid of it, but the only thing I know that works for sure is shooting them. Around here, setting traps is illegal, anymore. Not sure about the laws where you live, but I'm guessing in VB, probably not legal.

I don't know if it's feasible on your place, but the sheep farmers around here run llamas with their sheep. The llamas run off the coyotes. My mare actually does the job for me. She hates dog-like creatures. Livestock Guard Dogs are awesome, but you don't have that kind of time. Just something to consider later.

I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Last edited:
It is our plan to shoot it as for trapping I don't know if it is legal around my area as we are in the more rural part of VB but I have other animals and do not want them to get hurt on a trap. I have read that if an animal poses a risk to your livestock it is acceptable to kill it, I'll take my chances on that one either way. I do fear that she has had babies and has trained them to come to our place for food. I was thinking about having someone come out that wants to hunt it and let them at it as we need this thing gone. Our bantams meant a lot to us as do the rest of them and it is not the same not hearing them or seeing them in the morning when I get up. I appreciate the support from all that are posting, maybe that is what I am looking for too...support and to not feel so alone with this problem. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom