I just need to vent about my dogs

BurchFunnyFarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 3, 2014
Deweyville, Texas
I recently bred for a litter of hog dogs. Everything went wonderful with pregnancy and birth. I have been blessed with 12 chubby bundles of joy and a healthy caring mother dog. We have 4 adult dogs and apparent problems started after weaning the puppies. They have gotten more mobile and exploring their world and my two male dogs hate them.

They growl whenever they come near and even try to get in their pen and steal their food. Camo, one on my male dogs, goes it their area and growls and bites at them and started refusing to eat his own food. So I relocated where the adult dogs are fed and monitor the puppies 4 times a day while they eat and then remove the food to remove the problem.

Well it got worse and I was afraid the big dogs would hurt the puppies so I chained Camo up and kept my other male inside away from them. Apparently camo bit a puppy on the head in their pen when a neighbor boy was there. Twice puppies hot near him on his chain and he nipped them. So I had to chain him up inside my garden where they can't get to him.

My larger older male, who is the sire, bit two of them just for going near him and put a puncture in ones lip. So now I have to supervise the large dogs at all times when outside.

It gets worse....my husband let the big dogs out in the morning and came back to bed. When I woke up and went to feed the puppies there was blood on the light colored ones and I began to investigate. What I found was so horrid I almost broke down. Still I am wrenched with grief, pain, and a sense of failure.

One puppy had its eye ruptured and puncture wounds, another had a swollen cheek and puncture wounds. I didn't think to look in his mouth until tonight because of an odd smell and his poor little jaw is broken!!! His top jaw where his chewing teeth are is broke loose from the roof of his mouth and just awful.

By a stroke of luck my husband won a thousand dollars in a raffle at work yesterday. I will now be able to take them to a vet tomorrow. I have been taking care of these puppies at home since the incident and I feel absolutely horrible. I feel like this is all my fault and that my dogs are out of control. I just can't handle or stand this aggression in my males and part of that money is going to them getting neutered!

When I saw inside this puppies mouth my heart broke. They are acting playful, eating, drinking, and in good spirits but I know they are in pain and I know these injuries will change their lives forever. I feel like now they won't have a fair chance in life or be able to fulfill their purpose for being created, to hunt wild pigs.

I guess I'm just looking for encouragement, advice, an *** chewing, or anything at this point. I'm so upset and wish I could undo their hurt and make them better.
[/IMG]

hugs.gif
sounds like you have some very aggressive dogs and i would not trust them around children . even after a neuter, they have tasted blood and will want more. i am so sorry . i know you did what you could to protect the pups but accidents happen and that is why they are not safe.

Some male dogs really don't like puppies.

What will you do with that pup/s if your other dogs are already fighting and you can't find homes for the disfigured puppies? I expect some of your dogs will be sent to the pound to die when this problem gets worse.

Neutering can certainly help prevent more puppies but it can't be expected to change an adult dog's temperament. It may soften them a bit or it may not.

I am a dog lover and I have never bred a litter, I have however rescued over 100 dogs and also raised orphaned or needy puppies from birth. To me each and every dog's life is a precious thing and a HUGE responsibility not just when I have them but also when I find them homes. If they don't find good homes that will love them forever that would be my personal failure because they all deserve that and it is my responsibility to provide it for them.

Last edited:
Puppies can be a huge annoyance to older male dogs. Some males can be very patient with puppies, that said, I never mix puppies with older males unsupervised. You need to keep them separated. Even if the older dogs aren't aggressive, there is always a chance a big dog could accidentally hurt a pup. Neutering may help with male aggression but a lot of the time it probably won't change their behavior towards puppies. Puppies are just annoying to older dogs. So please separate. There is really no way to modify the older dogs behavior and you don't want to take a chance with another injury.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately, hind sight is usually 20/20 and these lessons can be painful ones.

I'm glad you are able to get them to the vet. The good news is dogs do very well with one eye, though he may be destined for life as a pet.

The other puppy may need some work to fix his mouth and a big worry is always about infection.

I agree with the other poster that said male dogs can be frustrated with puppies. I don't think this makes them bad dogs. It's pretty normal dog behavior as far as I'm concerned. These are hunting dogs after all, and little puppies must look like aliens to them! I do think neutering is a good option. In the future, I would just take extra precautions with them around other critters. Just because an animal "tastes blood" does not automatically make them killers.

If you think these puppies will be difficult to place and you will not be able to keep them, there is always another option which many people don't like to talk about. I'm sure you will know what is best for you and the welfare of the puppies.

Not as dramatic, but we've also had an issue introducing our new pup to our older dog. Our older dog is already neutered, he's a lab mix, so not an aggressive breed, he's just always been a very assertive dog. He got the new pup on her ear and tore a nice chunk out of it......

We spent the next few months playing the doggie shuffle--one dog in, one dog out. Roscoe just had to be in the outdoor kennel more, or in my bedroom. It was pretty stressful, and that was with just one pup to watch out for!

Good news is, Eve is now 6 months old and things are much better. Roscoe's actually played with her of his own free will a few times, and we can leave them out together unsupervised.

I think it's just going to take time for the pups to grow up and not be so annoying to the big guys. You'll just have to work out whatever system of confinement fits your set up, to keep either the bigs or the littles confined while the others are out. Unless you planned on keeping all those pups, sounds like it's also time to start finding new homes.

Some male dogs really don't like puppies.

What will you do with that pup/s if your other dogs are already fighting and you can't find homes for the disfigured puppies? I expect some of your dogs will be sent to the pound to die when this problem gets worse.

Neutering can certainly help prevent more puppies but it can't be expected to change an adult dog's temperament. It may soften them a bit or it may not.

I am a dog lover and I have never bred a litter, I have however rescued over 100 dogs and also raised orphaned or needy puppies from birth. To me each and every dog's life is a precious thing and a HUGE responsibility not just when I have them but also when I find them homes. If they don't find good homes that will love them forever that would be my personal failure because they all deserve that and it is my responsibility to provide it for them.
I couldn't agree more. I went to the vet today and ultimately decided to have Leo put down. Just from looking in his mouth the vet said he knew his jaw was broken in two places and possible more fractures that would be revealed on X-ray. Lucy will be blind in one eye and I will give her a forever home and train her to hunt if someone doesn't want to adopt and train her.

None of these dogs will end up in shelters. They are posted for sale on 4 different sites and I will keep them and train them as long as needed to find a home where they will be hunted.

I have sobbed and cried over this. I feel so personally responsible and while I know it was an accident seeing this behavior in the dogs is alarming. They have both hunted and been fine with other dogs. I'm thinking it is about them feeling like their territory has been invaded and establishing a pack order. I have not let the puppies in the "territory" of the adult dogs and have done the best I could to avoid this. I'm really concerned about the actions of Ruger and Camo.

sweet Little Leo the day before he was attacked.

when I discovered he was hurt.

This has been a brutal and hard experience, but I will keep the older dogs away from the puppies while I find them homes. I am so heartbroken that this ever happened and don't know how long it will take to feel better. I really appreciate everyone's comments. I've only had to say goodbye to one dog in my life before today.

I love and care for my dogs better than most people care for their children. I have had such a wonderful and joyous experience with these puppies until this accident. We already planned on keeping on or two to use for our own hunting. I will keep Lucy if she doesn't find a home. I must figure out a way to keep these older males separated from the puppies. Ruger has gotten off his chain 5 times. His neck is bigger than his head and I even tried a harness and he somehow got out of it twice. I'm just glad I have been home when they get off the chains.

What a sad tale. It is natural that a dog bred for hunting will attack what it regards as prey, even if the prey is in fact a puppy. This is a very hard way to learn an important lesson. We have Jack russels and they are marvellous little ratters. We have to be very careful though when there is a litter of kittens about, for the very reason that a kitten appears no different to these little terriers than a rat.

Back
Top Bottom