I just ordered 16 poults.

r4eboxer

Crooked Creek Poultry
8 Years
Sep 20, 2011
Fairmont
It was a spur of the moment order; I have been planning on Turkeys in the spring and was going to order in March. I was on Cackle's site and they had all poults available to order. I got 6 Royal Palms, 4 Narragansett, 2 Black Spanish, 2 Blue Slate, and 2 Bourbon Reds.
Anyone know when I should expect them? They said they would send me a ship date in like 10 days.

I have brooded chickens and ducks, what should I know about brooding turkeys? They are all straight run; I am assuming turkeys cannot be sexed? When will I know what I have sex wise? (and I don't mean for me I mean the turkeys
lau.gif
)

What about environment? I have a lot of land and can accommodate them but I would like to know where to put them on the property. I would like to sell them for meat and keep good breeders.
It's been a while since I was researching turkeys and this was a spontaneous order so any help would be great.

ETA: I just realized I most likely ordered the wrong breed for meat
th.gif
I think I remember reading the Narragansett are good meat birds, I hope the feathers don't cause dark spots.

Last edited:
All of those colors eat and clean up just fine. The RP's are smaller and have a shallow "Y" shapped breast. All you need for poults is a good turkey or gamebird starter that is 28-30% protien and they need it for the first 12 weeks. Then a good 20% feed from then on. If you keep them warm(95degs), dry, good food and clean water they will do fine. Turkeys don't eat when the hatch like guineas and chickens, you have to teach them. Dip their beaks in the water several times a day and they will figure it out. Also sprinkle starter on paper towls on the floor of the brooder and around the feed tray. Dip your finger in water and stick it in the feed. It will stick to your finger and offer it to the poults. They should peck it off. I hatch guinea keets with all my poults to teach them to eat and drink. I use guineas because they have the same feed requirements as the poults.

Quote:
I forgot to mention that I am also going to keep turkeys for lawn/pasture ornaments and I think the RP are the most beautiful of breeds. Maybe I ordered too many but wanted to be sure to get at least one hen and one tom. I should order more Narragansett though? Maybe when I put in my Chicken and duck order I can add them at that time.

Also keep in mind that shipping can be very hard on poults. You may end up loosing a few from shipping and the rest if you do as I mentioned in my first post. Poults are very easy to raise if you keep them clean, warm, dry and a good diet.

Back
Top Bottom