I just ordered low-chill fruit trees for Florida!

Quote:
Blood Oranges are notorious for being slow. Is your tree grafted or planted from seed? It should probably flower this year if it is grafted. Make sure it is in full sun, they really like it hot and make sure it dries out a little between waterings if it is in a pot. I always fertilize my citrus with miracid/ miracle grow with acid (the kind that is used on alzaleas). Citrus, like a lot of plants from Asia prefer acidic soil although they will tolerate any kind of soil and do well. I plant my potted citrus in Miracle Grow for Roses soil with lots of extra perlite and compost mixed in. It needs to drain really well. If yours isn't dying then you are probably doing something right
smile.png

This winter was horrible, every time I look at all my Banana plants I want to cry! I kept a lot in pots and was able to utilize someone's nursery for a few of them including my Ae Ae's....

Congratulations!! You're so lucky. We purchased a low-chill peach tree a few years ago, and it never produced any fruit. When we bought it, it had one peach on it, and it fell off before ripening.
barnie.gif
I hope you have lots of luck with your new trees!! How exciting! I love how you call Florida, this frozen tundra!!
lol.png
cute! But you are kind of right, you know!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Blood Oranges are notorious for being slow. Is your tree grafted or planted from seed? It should probably flower this year if it is grafted. Make sure it is in full sun, they really like it hot and make sure it dries out a little between waterings if it is in a pot. I always fertilize my citrus with miracid/ miracle grow with acid (the kind that is used on alzaleas). Citrus, like a lot of plants from Asia prefer acidic soil although they will tolerate any kind of soil and do well. I plant my potted citrus in Miracle Grow for Roses soil with lots of extra perlite and compost mixed in. It needs to drain really well. If yours isn't dying then you are probably doing something right
smile.png

Thanks! We're going to start cleaning up the yard and patio soon, and we'll take a look at it and probably repot it according to your "recipe." I sure hope it does something for us soon, but even if it doesn't it's still a pretty tree.

b.hromada :

Congratulations!! You're so lucky. We purchased a low-chill peach tree a few years ago, and it never produced any fruit. When we bought it, it had one peach on it, and it fell off before ripening.
barnie.gif
I hope you have lots of luck with your new trees!! How exciting! I love how you call Florida, this frozen tundra!!
lol.png
cute! But you are kind of right, you know!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks! They should be arriving any day now, so I'll post some pictures!​

Back
Top Bottom