I just placed my order for my first flock!

Amberleighe

Chirping
9 Years
May 12, 2013
Bonaire, Georgia
yesss.gif
I ordered my chicks today and I am beyond excited to get my new babies!
yippiechickie.gif

I ordered 5 chicks:
2 Silver Laced Polish Standard Female
1 Sicilian Buttercup Female
1 Rhode Island Red Female
1 Meal Maker chick

I am prepared to give my polish hens a separate coop if necessary... I have read so many mixed reviews on if the others will get along with them but I had my heart set on them so I had to have the beauties!

With that said... I jumped the gun my excitement got the better of me and I ordered chicks before I have a coop, or even a brooder built. But my husband can whip me up a brooder in no time. The coop shouldn't take us more than 3 or 4 weeks to build. So it should be ready by the time the babies are old enough to be put outside.

I have read so much information I feel like I am might have confused myself lately... I was wondering if anyone could offer some quick tips for me on setting up my brooder for the chicks when they arrive. (Best options for food, water, electrolytes, bedding)

Thanks
D.gif

yesss.gif
I ordered my chicks today and I am beyond excited to get my new babies!
yippiechickie.gif

I ordered 5 chicks:
2 Silver Laced Polish Standard Female
1 Sicilian Buttercup Female
1 Rhode Island Red Female
1 Meal Maker chick

I am prepared to give my polish hens a separate coop if necessary... I have read so many mixed reviews on if the others will get along with them but I had my heart set on them so I had to have the beauties!

With that said... I jumped the gun my excitement got the better of me and I ordered chicks before I have a coop, or even a brooder built. But my husband can whip me up a brooder in no time. The coop shouldn't take us more than 3 or 4 weeks to build. So it should be ready by the time the babies are old enough to be put outside.

I have read so much information I feel like I am might have confused myself lately... I was wondering if anyone could offer some quick tips for me on setting up my brooder for the chicks when they arrive. (Best options for food, water, electrolytes, bedding)

Thanks
D.gif

Congrats on ordering your new babies! I originally had a small cage for my 2 girls, but after 6 weeks they outgrew it, and I used a huge dog crate. Now I wish I had used the crate all along. I just put cardboard around the edges to keep it draft free, and hung the heat lamp up above. I use pine shavings. I gave mine a small thing of dirt after their first week and added to it every few days. I also gave them a roost bar at a couple of days for them to practice sitting on. A lot of people use rubbermaid tubs and things like that as brooders, whatever works for you and you have easy access to. Good luck! Oh, I also recommend a probiotic that can be purchased at most feed stores for right after shipping, they will be stressed.

Oh thank you two. I have plan to do even more reading and research and start shopping very soon. I'm so excited. My friends and family think I've lost my mind!

Back
Top Bottom