I just "processed" my first rooster

rnorris1234

Songster
9 Years
Jun 4, 2010
Fort Payne, AL
I just processed my first rooster. And it was really, really hard to do. I've been trying to work up the courage for weeks and I'm rather stunned that I actually did it. I understand that's part of be a responsible chicken owner. I understand the health benefits of "knowing" your food. But that was really hard to do.

hugs.gif
and
clap.gif

I am proud of you! Even though I don't know you
clap.gif
I have this exact same task looming over my head, and I am always pleased to hear that someone who thought they couldn't do it, did it anyway. I have a 24 week old Jersey Giant rooster that has morphed into the devil and even though I have tried carrying him around and "rehabilitating" him, he is still vicious! He repeatedly attacked me this morning after he dashed out of the pop door first. I was trapped and I couldn't turn my back on him to let the girls out of the coop. Unfortunately for him their was a stick in the pen. I do not take hitting animals lightly...but he got a good couple of lickings while I made my escape.

If it wasn't difficult for you at all you probably shouldn't be doing it. Nothing wrong with being a sentient human being with feelings. At least you know he had a good life and the care you put into him will serve to sustain you.
hugs.gif

I'm doing my first this weekend with hubby and am scared to death!!! I have been watching videos to try to desensitize myself!!! Let me know how he tastes! Maybe that will help. Any pointers?

Quote:
I can relate! I can soooo relate. There is something so terrible about holding the dead chicken in your hands when he is finally dead. Makes me think that I could never eat it, but I did...amazingly!

Hugs to you.
Our EE rooster was beautiful, but wasn't part of our plan last year when ordering. He had been ok, but my kids were afraid of him, and he had an attitude around my DH. Two weeks ago he came at me in the coop, and I decided enough of that, he had to go. It was not easy or pleasant, we had to wait til he went to roost. I cooked him off in the crockpot and froze the meat, and then waited a few days before chicken sandwiches appeared for lunch. The meat was tender and yummy and no one questioned where it came from. I miss the crowing in the morning. My hens seem to be doing just fine. They finished molting, and now their feathers are finally regrowing. They had been taken a beating as Ruperts spurs were very sharp and hurting them. I don't think they miss him at all The one thing I did notice was that now when I approach a few of the hens they squat as soon as I touch them. I usually give them a good scratch and they shake off and call it good. No more rooster abuse..

I'm off work on fridays, but my 5 year old daughter is in school, so I knew that the deed would need to be done on a Friday. Every monday, I have been confident I could do it, but by Thursday, I knew I couldn't. Some things that I did to "help" me to get motivated -- on Tuesday evening, I caught him and put him in a separate cage. On Thursday morning, I took away his food, but left water. I had read that you should take food away for 24 hours so his crop and "system" would be clean. These little steps over several days helped me prepare, and after starving him for a day (which didn't make him happy) I knew I couldn't keep doing that over and over again.
I read a lot of discussions on BYC and watched several videos (which were disturbing, but also really, really helpful in the process).
I made a "cone" our of a gallon milk jug by cutting out the bottom and widening the top. I read several different methods, but decided to use a pair of garden loppers with the curved blade and long handles for good leverage. I am very glad to say it was very quick and humane. I know that his life, and his death was better than it would have been in a processing plant. I had him hanging over a large rubbermade storage bin so the mess was well contained.
I used a large pot used for canning to scald the bird, but even this pot wasn't really large enough, so i would suggest finding a container that is larger -- larger than you might think you need. Plucking all the feathers took a lot longer than I had thought -- not really difficult, but still time consuming.
Dressing the bird was probably the most difficult part for me. Again some of the videos were really helpful -- they make it look so much easier than it was, but it was really helpful.
I would suggest making sure you have a very sharp knife. I did not have a very sharp one (I though ti was, but not sharp enough). That would have made things easier.

I had to put him in the freezer. I'm not ready to eat him yet. In fact, I think I'm pretty much vegitarian for today. I'm thinking that slow cooking in a crockpot or slow roasted in the oven will be the best choice -- maybe rosemary, lemon, and olive oil.
But I'm going to have to wait a while for that.

so... allow more time than you think, have a sharp knife, and a large pot to scald, and take some steps for the days leading up to the deed. Then, of course, go with lots of treats and love on your other chickens to console yourself.

Back
Top Bottom