I just recieved my first batch of shipped eggs

tinkatwerp

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 31, 2014
So I know you're supposed to let shipped eggs sit for 12 hours or so before you pop them in the Bator. Where should I do this though? The room the incubator is in has a nice steady temp of 60. Isn't the point of leaving them out to let them come up to temp slowly? In that case would it be better to leave them in a warmer room for 12 hours?

Also I have 45 eggs and 40 spots in my egg turner. Therefore I need to choose 5 to throw away. If I candle them (these ones are very light in color, I think candling will go well) would it help choosing which ones to keep at all? What should I look for?

Your room temp of 60 degrees is good to let your eggs rest for 12 hours. I wouldn't go any warmer than that. The point of letting the eggs rest before incubation is to allow the embryo adjust to a proper position. I usually always can find a way to screeze a couple of extra eggs in my bators. Sometime you have to turn the extra ones by hand but that's no big deal. I would never want to eat eggs that have gone longer than a few minutes out of refrigeration. A good start on salmonella.

So I know you're supposed to let shipped eggs sit for 12 hours or so before you pop them in the Bator. Where should I do this though? The room the incubator is in has a nice steady temp of 60. Isn't the point of leaving them out to let them come up to temp slowly? In that case would it be better to leave them in a warmer room for 12 hours?

Also I have 45 eggs and 40 spots in my egg turner. Therefore I need to choose 5 to throw away. If I candle them (these ones are very light in color, I think candling will go well) would it help choosing which ones to keep at all? What should I look for?
You can put the extra eggs is a plastic container (shoe box size) and put it on a heating pad, w/ a red heat lamp over it and incubate them like that. I have successfully hatched 2 batches that way. Working on my third have 2 pipping as we speak. Well one batch was chicken eggs. I just put it on my countertop in my bathroom. If humidity gets low just take a small bowl with a paper towel & water & put it close to the heat lamp. I had a high hatch rate too. Better than with my bator that I spent a lot of money on. You have nothing to loose by trying it. Good luck

Last edited:
Quail eggs do not contain salmonella and can safely be stored on the counter for a couple weeks. They can also be eaten raw. Chicken eggs contain small amounts of it because salmonella is present in their digestive tract from birth.

You can eat eggs after several weeks without refrigeration. Do the float test, if the egg floats in water feed it to the dogs. If it doesn't then eat it.

Back
Top Bottom