I just registered here

borderchick

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 10, 2010
Blaine, Washington
Hi, I just registered here because I'm new to the backyard chicken game and have lots of questions. I happened upon the site and thought it looked like a great place to find some answers. I have 5 chickens in my yard. I received 4 of them as chicks on Mother's Day in May of 2010 and I aquired another one from a neighbor a few weeks later. So my flock of 5 is now around 5 months old. One of the five ended up being a rooster. I have started finding some tiny little eggs a few days a week! woo hoo! It seems as though only one of the 4 is laying, and I'm waiting to see the others get the hang of it. Lately though I've started having the bad feeling that I only have one hen...I started looking at the others thinking, they have awfully large combs and wattles to be hens. But only one of the flock crows....could it be that I have multiple roosters and they don't crow, sort of leaving the crowing to the chosen one or something like that? My flock is 2 Rhode Island Reds - 2 Plymouth Barrington and the one from my neighbor is black with a fluffy head and feet, sorry don't know the names. I will learn as I go along. The one from the neighbor is the youngest and I think she is my layer and she does not have a big comb or wattle as the other 4 do.
Thanks for reading!
Allie
Blaine Washington

Hi Allie &
welcome-byc.gif
Post pictures & we at BYC will be glad to tell you if you have hens or roos & what kind. In no time you'll be telling others what they have! Chicken knowledge is SO satisfying!
yippiechickie.gif

Welcome from an imp in Renton.

Check out the Washingtonians thread in the Where are you forum.

Can you post pictures of your birds? in the what breed or gender forum. Lots of people there that can tell the difference. Me- not so much.

Good luck

Imp

Thanks for all the welcomes! This is a great friendly place I can see.
I took some pics of my chickens today, If anyone has a moment to look at them I'd sure appreciate some feed back on wether or not I have hens of roosters here. I'll feel real silly if I've only got 1 hen out of 5 birds. But it's all part of the learning curve I guess.
Thanks
69544_picture_001.jpg

69544_picture_008.jpg

69544_picture_010.jpg

69544_picture_009.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom