I just stictched my first chicken.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by naakte, Oct 1, 2011.

1. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    I just stitched a brand new chick up so its yolk wouldnt keep coming out. i used polysorb 2-0 CL -616. yes i know the needle is a lil big, but since i just lost a chick a few days ago to this same thing, i wanted to do something before the whole sac came out of its belly and I would again have to euthanize. and i think I did ok for it. I was my myself (DH is at work ), so it was harder than it should have been. I wet a towel with warm water rolled the sides to fit the chick and proceeded. I washed it with betadine swabs let it dry while keeping the chick on its back. I only made one stitch and i think that will suffice. I didnt use a dressing at all and have it back in the lockdown incubator.
    The baby chick I had to cull had pipped on its own, but I missed the cord and the cord dried and the next morning i went to look at all my babies and it was limping. I picked it up to look at its feet and immediately saw the yolk sac coming out. I carefully cut the dried cord and released its stuck foot, tried to get the yolk sac back into its belly but couldnt.
    The baby that i stitched just now was shrink wrapped and its chirps were getting less strong even though i wet the shrink wrap with a little distilled water. I got it out of its shell in about an hour, but the cord wasnt there to clamp off and i could see a tiny bit of the yolk sac beginning to come out. I was afraid if i didnt act quickly that sac would come out. I need to find tiny needles should this happen again. in all thus far 18 chicks hatched out on their own and i only had to help this one baby. I sure do hope it will make it. need to know if I should dress it and I am planning to use peroxide to disinfect where I stitched ot, or should i just use betadine. I have stictched up many animals in my life, but never a chicken. I need help so I can make the best decision for its care program. This has sure been stressful filled with am I doing the right thing feelings.
  2. SaraFL

SaraFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    I've not done that myself, but was thinking I'd probably use glue instead of the suture. I hope little chicky makes it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by