I just want my flock to be completed RIGHT NOW

Tigerjane

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Pflugerville, TX
OK, I'm using all my self control not to start purchasing chicks and eggs of the breeds I *need* to finish my flock. Did anyone else get this antsy once they decided to get chickens?
big_smile.png

I made my list and I know just what I want. Two of them I definitely have, because I bought them as pullets. Then I have two more types at st run, 3 of each, and hopefully there's at least one hen of each, so then I'll have four of my types scratched off the list. Then, I bought hatching eggs for the remaining four types, and it's not looking good on those. They're set to hatch around August 4-7, but I'm all antsy to just buy chicks of those types, because I don't believe I'm going to get a good hatch rate and I'll have to buy them anyhow and I want to know my flock is coming along RIGHT NOW. I also have learned more about getting quality hens, not just hatchery quality, and now I want to make the plunge and buy quality breeding stock of those remaining types. I have some friends that have agreed to take the extras I hatched out, and now I'm thinking of just giving them whatever hatches and getting the breeding quality for myself, like I want. Problem is, those darn shipping minimums! What will I do with 15 of FOUR types?!?!? i don't have anywhere near that kind of room.

How'd you all go about building your flock, with quality stock, without ending up with 50 chicks at once? I don't want to breed and sell, or even show (well, maybe at some point), but I do want beautiful birds
smile.png

BWA HA HA HA ....

"Flock" and "Completed" in the same sentence ...
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

Seriously, though, I went through so many changes .. and still don't have a "completed" flock.

Thought I wanted one breed .. had horrible luck .. ended up with a rooster of one breed and 4 hens from another .. and I'm expecting a shipment of some surprise pullets and some st run d'uccles this week.

Maybe some people have a better vision and stick to it than I did, but I'm having fun!!

Last edited:
If you are really interested in quality stock then in general hatcheries are not the place to begin. I would suggest that you go to a local poultry show and purchase the birds there or from a good breeder locally.

Quote:
Yeah, if we had more space, I could totally see myself getting out of hand. there's so many interesting types! But once my list got up to the amount of space we had, I've made myself stop looking. I feel my list has a good combination of "pretty looking" and "pretty eggs", lol!

And in response to where to purchase, I've already learned hatchery is not the way to go. I'm looking at specific bloodlines now, but those breeders have set minimums for shipping and I don't have very much space to devote to this, otherwise I'd order and let them g row out and see what I wanted to keep.

This may be why we started with 6 chicks two years ago and ended up with 41 right now... and 16 in the bator.
And I'm the one trying to keep things within reason!

I can totally relate! I only have room for 6 or so hens, but I also want 2-3 different breeds... and I would like to buy from breeders so that I know they will look like what they are supposed to as opposed to taking my chances with hatchery stock. But it's pretty costly to order 15 chicks just to keep two or three....
sad.png

Quote:
Tell me about it! $258 to order the 12 chick minimum of BCM from greenfire farms, including shipping! And I only want ONE HEN. Oy! If I knew I could sell the others for what I paid, then OK. Perhaps I should just get what I want, and post on craigslist for people to claim theirs ahead of time? Thoughts on this new desperate idea? I'm looking at Bev Davis BCM from greenfire farms, and BLRW from either Paul's Poultry or Ruth Bloch. Need to find a good breeder for Ameraucanas. Perhaps Graceful Bantams, or Nonesuch farm?

Last edited:
I started out with some mixed breed chicks and have now become chicken addicted. My DH was telling someone yesterday that I got 'into' chicks in March. Other guy said his wife too... but 3 years ago.... my wife has 6 hens what about yours??? DH mumbled 24 or something like that. He is always saying I overdo things!

Quote:
Tell me about it! $258 to order the 12 chick minimum of BCM from greenfire farms, including shipping! And I only want ONE HEN. Oy! If I knew I could sell the others for what I paid, then OK. Perhaps I should just get what I want, and post on craigslist for people to claim theirs ahead of time? Thoughts on this new desperate idea? I'm looking at Bev Davis BCM from greenfire farms, and BLRW from either Paul's Poultry or Ruth Bloch. Need to find a good breeder for Ameraucanas. Perhaps Graceful Bantams, or Nonesuch farm?

If you go to the Ameraucana website they have a list of breeders and what types they raise (LF, Bantam, colors, etc) and they also list what they will ship (chicks, hatching eggs, etc). I am kinda in the same boat as you. I want to get pure bred Ameraucanas next spring but you have to order usually a minimum of 25 chicks. I don't want that many, although I can have that many, but what to do with the extra chicks? Do you split them up before you can tell what sex they are? (Most breeders only sell straight run) I am worried that with my luck the 5 to 10 I would keep would all wind up roos!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom