i keep coming across comments on trader joe eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Loretta212, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    can you really just go to the store and buy the eggs and they hatch? i thought that store eggs were not fertilezed

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

In some areas of the US, select stores sell fertilized eggs for eating.

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I think TJ's has fertilized eggs in there free range eggs...but no eggs will not hatch. They would have had to be kept in a bator not under refrigeration. [​IMG]

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I have never heard anything about Trader Joe eggs - interesting. I would think if they were refrigerated, even if you incubated them, they would not hatch.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm in California, and several Trader Joe's markets carry fertilized eggs for eating in their refrigerated cases. They are clearly marked:

[​IMG]

I hatched a rooster and three hens from Trader Joe's eggs, on January 1, 2011. White leghorns.

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:You might get a few chicks to hatch, some member on here have hatched them.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Here is a link to the old thread on the TJ eggs:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=290845

You can hatch eggs out of the fridge, it is just less than ideal storage conditions. Less than ideal means a lower hatch or a no hatch, does not mean it is impossible. If a bunch of eggs sits out in 30F weather for 5 hours, they can still hatch, just not as well as if those eggs had sat in 45F weather for the same time.

8. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Funny, I have eight TJ's eggs in the bator on day 11, happily wriggling away. They have better fertility than the eggs from my birds! [​IMG]

9. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Thanks for sharing the link to the TJ thread. Do they refrigerate their eggs? Maybe I was wrong about refrigerated eggs not hatching well as long as they are only refrigerated less than a week or so.

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I refrigerate nearly all of my hatching eggs and get good hatches. Typically 90% or better with chicken eggs.

But those are eggs handled with the intention of hatching them even if they are refrigerated.

The TJ eggs may be fertile, but they aren't handled with the intention of doing anything with them other than eating them. If you find any in your local stores get the ones with the freshest dates on them that you can find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by