I keep finding an egg with pecked shell , but egg isn't eaten...tried several things already...help

AzbornTxraised

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2016
This morning I found the second egg like this under my roost. All other hens are laying in the nest. Hens have been laying for 2 weeks. The egg shell is broken in a perfect circle but the membrane is still intact and the egg is not eaten. I have fake eggs in the nest and I tried the egg filled with mustard. This morning it was completely gone. Shell and all. I have no problem culling the hen that is doing this if need be, but my last problem is that I don't know who is the culprit, or if there is one due to the egg not being eaten...advice please? Im aware that there are many posts about egg pecking, and I've already read through these posts like crazy, for days so now I am asking for custom advice from those of you who are more experienced.

Egg is dropping on the floor is causing that. The egg drops a couple inches from the vent when laid.
Lots of straw is what I use floor of coop and nest box.

Any advice on how to stop this one chicken from laying on the roost? All others are laying in the nesting boxes

Last edited:
Remove the roost bar for a couple of weeks.
Make sure to have fake eggs in the nest boxes.
She's young, she will figure it out eventually. I would not cull her, eggs are still edible.

Remove the roost bar for a couple of weeks.
Make sure to have fake eggs in the nest boxes. 
She's young, she will figure it out eventually. I would not cull her, eggs are still edible.

Thanks for the advice! I tried this and they freaked out when it was time for bed and there was no roost. They were trying unsuccessfully to roost in my windowsills so I will just remove it in the mornings before they lay and put it back in the evening and see how that goes. :)

Back
Top Bottom