I keep finding my new baby on his back

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayyjayy, Jul 10, 2011.

1. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    I got three Cayugas Friday night, then on Saturday morning my neighbor noticed her Mallad duck mama waddling around with babies, she checked the nest and saw that she had left a reallllly little guy behind, and the sprinklers had soaked him. I thought for sure he was going to die, but decided since I had just gotten the other three the night before it was worth a shot. He seems to be doing okay, just a lot littler than the others and a bit weaker, though he is pretty active when he is active. Anyway, today I went in and two of the times I went in, he was on his back. The first time I thought he was dead, but when I spoke he started scambling trying to flip back over. The second time, just now, he didn't try to flip over, though I didn't make any noise this time. WHY is he flipping over, and if it happens in the middle of the night, will he die??

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Do you have the little one in a brooder - or is it outside with the mother- I asssume you have it with your three but you dont say for sure in your post. If its in a brooder and flipps over away from the heat- then yes- it could die if it chills during the night. As for the cause- other than just general weakness from a difficult hatch it could be a sign of a vitamin deficiency. Thiamine deficiency can cause them to flip ove frequently. Can you get a hold of some multivitamins for poultry?? Giving him some concentrated doses of vitamins in the drinking water may help to get the little one back on track.

3. THunter

THunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Had a 3 week old muscovy duckling start doing that last week. He got scared by the dog and ran head long into a 2x6 stud wall that seemed to knock him senseless--almost like he got a concussion. Several times after that, I'd find him on his back looking dead but he'd scramble around and get up after I talked to him. He finally died Friday--laying on his back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by