I killed one!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ilovechickens, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ilovechickens

ilovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    [​IMG] I went down to check on the chicks and I noticed that the water dish was tipped a bit and some of the chicks were a little wet, so I took the water dishes out to change the towels and their was a EE under neath the dish, layed out flat:hit I didn't even realize that she was under there. I thought that I could bring her back, but she was cold and dead. I have not lost one chick to the breeders and the first one that I lose is to my own doing. That just sucks!!! they were just going so crazy for water and food that I just plain didn't see it:[​IMG]
  2. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry [​IMG]
  3. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    [​IMG] It happens, think of it as a lesson learned. I had a chick drown once. A banty. And it definitely sucks. [​IMG]
    I am sorry for your loss! [​IMG]
  4. montana girl

montana girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2007
    Kalispell, Montana
    So sorry to hear about this. My chicks always run like heck when I bring the water dish around to set it down.

Strangely enough, someone else posted on here that she squished her chick under her waterer for 4 hours or something and thankfully was able to bring her back around.

Sorry about your baby.
  5. texaschick-a-dee

texaschick-a-dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Texas coast
    [​IMG] I'm sorry, I know that it sucks when you think that it's your fault. Live and learn.
  6. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    SORRY! We all have done things. Its called getting experience. Each group you raise you will learn new things. Better yet get a cattle dog they teach you to try to out think them. Its a battle what will she do next?????[​IMG]
  7. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    We picked up some chicks at the feed store over a month ago. 8 of them and a few days later my daughter found a stump full of termites so she took the chicks out there to eat them and when I went out there to check on them I pushed the stump over smashing one and killing it. I felt so horrible! It was the cutest one too.

We all do it so don't be so hard on yourself. [​IMG]
  8. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    One time I was unpacking a box of newly arrived McMurray chicks and was busily dipping beaks and turning them loose.

I suddenly realized I was standing on one fo my brand new buff orpington chicks. [​IMG]

It happens... In my case I just made sure to finish off the poor little guy quickly and end his suffering. [​IMG]
  9. ilovechickens

ilovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    Thank you all for your sympathy. Only chicken lovers understand our world
  10. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by