I knew it.

1stepcloser

Poultry In Motion
10 Years
Sep 16, 2009
Dover, TN
I bought 10 babies as a straight run and vowed to eat anyone who wasn't a pullet. About 6 out of the 10 are looking very roo-like...and way too cute!
hit.gif
I have purposely not snuggled up on this batch to distance myself. The only thing that has accomplished is the babies run the other way when I come into their pen but even now they are starting to figure out I am the food lady. I find myself standing over the top of their little skiddish, fuzzy butts cooing "Hi babiessssssss.....how are my babiesssss?"

I am a failure as a cold, hard farmer. I have no idea how I am going to eat them now.

Don't feel bad!! I don't think I could do it either!! My in laws say they can so if I ever need the deed done I'll just let them do it!!
hu.gif

Missi

Oh boy. I can understand your feelings! It's why I just buy my chicks from the hatchery, so I know they're pullets.....the problem is, I bought an incubator......with my first hatch due this friday.......my luck, it'll be ALL BOYS! LOL

Then what will I do? LOL Luckily, I've got a farmer friend who has no problem taking the roos for me.....

I am not much of a success at being cold, business-like,"do what you have to do", either.Sigh.
hmm.png

I get way too attached!

I feel you on that one... I considered the possibility of eating any roos in my bunch but looking back I realize how ridiculous that idea was. I just don't have it in me. My boyfriend acts like he could do it but I'm not so sure. Of course the one in my bunch that turned out to be a roo is my absolute favorite so we're keeping him even though we're in the city and aren't supposed to have him... Hopefully he's quiet-ish and out neighbors don't hate us
smile.png

I thought I couldn't do the deed either, but when my roos were so rough with my favorite hen, so much so that she was often bleeding from her back and at times had scabs the size of my palm, I did the deed... It was sad but so tasty...
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom